What is the risk??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the risk??

What is the risk of riding with battery lowly charged or dead?
    I think my battery is not charging (not able to crank the bike up with the starter)

Well depending you might be able to push start it? Or if it has enough juice to kick start it. Just Charge the battery before taking short rides. Could also have a bad battery..
    I would check all of the electrical connections in the charging circuit. Yours is a two piece reg & separate rectifier

Comment

yeah I can kickstartit and ride the bike, tomorow I will chek the battery voltage I am supposed to expect how many volts ??

Comment

Bring up and study the Stator Papers. Everything you want to know and so much more. You should also have a digital multimeter and a circuit test probe ( Crappy tire or Princess auto)

Charging should be better than 14 volts at 3000 and up but no more than 14.9.anything over and you will boil up the battery.

Speaking of the battery check and see that the fluid is up to the mark in each cell. If not, top up with distilled water not tap. As Lynn mentioned the battery can be crap even brand new ones. So if you suspect its bad take it in and have it load tested, that will tell its true status.

If you do find the bike is not charging you need to get stuck in to the Stator Papers flow chart to figure what's acting up.

Charging issues are super common with these and most other old bikes so you are not alone. We have all been through it. You have all the information and support you'll need to figure things out so dive in.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Cheers,
        Spyug

Comment

just in case it changes anything I changed my ignition to a dyna-s unit no more points for the bike

Comment

Working...
          X