GS550e died and won't start again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550e died and won't start again.

Went riding the other day, bike died while moving, just cut out. Go to hit the starter button and nothing (no click from the solenoid, nothing). So i jumped the starter relay posts and the bike cranks (but won't start). I towed it home to inspect the possible problem and i can't figure it out.
    With the battery connect and the key on, the start button does nothing. I've tried both with the killswitch on and off and still there is no response from the bike. No click, no anything. The lights on the cluster [neutral, etc.] all come on with the key turned. The headlight/brake light/turns will not come on with the key turned however. I've checked the fuses/fusebox, replaced the starter solenoid, and multiple other things, but the bike refuses to do anything.
    I came to the conclusion that there is a possible short/wire pinch somewhere, that occurred while i was riding; but i have no idea where to look that would cause all these problems.

Have you tried bypassing the clutch safety switch? (If your bike has one, I couldn't find a wiring diagram)

Edit: Never mind, it wouldn't explain the running lights not working.

Comment

Hi,

I would start by inspecting the entire wiring harness. Take off the seat, tank, and side covers and open up the headlight bucket. Inspect and clean every electrical connection you can find. Look for worn insulation or broken/melted connectors. Take the fuse box apart to clean and inspect. Have the battery load-tested. You can also perform passive tests on the charging system. See the electrical section of my little website for more suggestions. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 08-17-2011, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Went for ride on old GSF600s other day,had no restart after ride,motor is buzzy runner,battery cable loosened up, was lucky to make it safe home before battery reserve depleted and cause stall like yours.I also have 83 GS550ES will keep eye on your posts.Glad you are safe...

Comment

As mentioned bypass the clutch safety switch and clean the kill switch.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

i have cleaned and re-solders the connections on the kill switch, as well as cleaned/examined the entire fuse-box. the square headlight has been replaced long ago with dual rounds. and still the same scenario as before.
            i am a frequent viewer of your site cliff, and ill speak for everyone when i say thanks for the work you've put into it.

where can one find the clutch safety switch?

Comment

You said it doesnt turn over and you dont have headlight and other lights.

The starter solenoid is on the Ignoition Fuse, and the headlight and other things are on the Headlight Fuse. So your problem is something that effects both circuits.

I would not suspect your clutch swtich which would only effect the starter solenoid, not the lights.

Try wiggiling the ignition key swtich. Try wiggling the connector on bottom side of the ignition switch.

Remove the tank, so can find more connectgors in the wiring harness.

Most bikes have lots of wiring connectors in the headlight housing, but I dont know aobut the S'es, and you say headlight is a custome setup.

Would be best to troubleshoot this with a voltmeter or test lamp probe (and a schematic) to find were are loosing the power.
              You have voltmeter?

Maybe add your location to your profile (goto UserCP).

Short or pinched wire would blow fuse.
              You are looking for an "open" wire or a disconnected wire. A meter will find that better than your eyeballs.

PS: To answer your question, the clutch swtich is on tghe bottom side of the clutch lever. But, again, that will not effect you light circuits.

Last edited by Redman; 08-16-2011, 10:37 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

the gas tank has been removed, as well as the headlight has been loosened (but still connected/wired) to expose the giant cluster of wires.
                i guess it may be time to break out the voltmeter to figure out what's going on here.
                i'm not sure if i'm correct, but i'm not sure if the starter solenoid is regulated by the fusebox. It's hooked directly to the power wire from the battery, and the other post is grounded to the motor-ground. but it's just odd that it won't even click or do anything once the "start" button circuit is closed.
                just trying to troubleshoot here: but if it was the ignition switch (key) why would the "dummies" lights pop up on the gauge cluster?
                other than that, electrical stuff gives me a headache! and i don't even know where to begin to start looking again for broken wires.

Comment

Battery that is weak,low charged,almost dead etc. may still make lights glow,horn honk...but will not allow starter solenoid to even click.Check battery overall condition first,even if battery seems good,charge it to what appears full and have it load tested somewhere.

Comment

The "secondary" side of the solenoid has no over-current protection. The primary side should run through the ignition circuits IIRC. Check for voltage on both sides of all of your fuses.

Comment

i have charged the battery all day yesterday, on a 1.5A maintainer, and it appeared to be full. i guess ill get it load tested today and start rechecking all the connection with a voltmeter after the battery's tested.

Comment

Don't just check connections. Follow the Stator Papers and test it properly.

Scroll down the page a little to find the Stator Papers.

Larry D
                        1980 GS450S
                        1981 GS450S
                        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

irrc, i won't be able to run through the stator papers if the bike won't start, would I? charging isn't necessarily the issue right now for me.

Comment

You can do the static tests of the stator and the R/R with a DMM. But yeah, I think there's something else going on here. Do you have a wiring diagram for the bike? In addition to the two thick wires on the solenoid, there should be a small control terminal. Do you get voltage there when you hit the starter button?

Have you checked for voltage at all of the fuses (both sides)? I'll check your wiring diagram tonight after I get home, but from the battery current should flow through the main fuse only, then up to the ignition switch and back through 3 wires to the other fuses - ignition, signals, and lights. Sounds like your signal branch is getting current but maybe not the other two.

Comment

Batteries can really fake one out,did me many times,load test will tell its truest(I believe) condition and you can trouble shoot with more confidence from there.also Repeated no start attempts may foul/wet plugs and make the whole no start senario seem like it went really bonkers.Your process of elimination shall serve you well.You will show PIA new attitude.

Comment

Working...
                              X