not charging...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not charging...

Okay I didn't see it on the first page here.
    Please help..
    I have a 1980 Gs 1000.. Doesn't seem to be charging.
    Does anyone know what the voltage should be while it's running?

And do any of you experts know of a common problem on these?

Please help I wanna ride more than just around the block...

Read the stator papers the at gs resources site, under garage. Here is quote from them to test your charging. There is much more info there to help you diagnose your problem.
    Step 0 - testing the complete circuit

If the battery is known to be good AND fully charged, the testing may begin. The stuff hereunder assumes that you have a basic knowledge of electricity, up to the point that you know that electricity can be dangerous, and up to the point that you understand the difference between amperage and voltage, and AC and DC. If you don't, please, for the sake of your health and the health of your bike, back off and get some help.
    What we need, apart from some general tools such as screwdrivers and spanners, is a general purpose multimeter, which is able to measure AC as well as DC.
    We'll start with everything, including the engine, switched off. Select DC Volts on the multimeter, if it's not an auto-ranging meter be sure to select an appropriate range (up to 20 V on most devices), and determine the potential difference between the plus and minus poles of the battery. If the battery is OK and fully charged, this should be something in the proximity of 13 Volts
    Now we start the engine and have it idle. Be sure to leave lights and everything off. On idle, not too much will happen, since the stator simply isn't revolving fast enough to generate enough current. Depending on the bike, you may see it rise a little, to something like 13,5 V or so.
    Now we rev it up to a reasonable speed, say, something like 4000 RPM. Now you should see full charge, somewhere in the range of 13,9 and 14,5 Volt.
    Rev it up a little more, and check whether it stays at that level, or whether it starts to drop significantly at higher rev ranges -- it shouldn't.
    If this is all OK, your charging circuit is in working order. If you've got a draining battery problem, it's somewhere else. If this is NOT OK, there's a problem somewhere in between (including) the stator and the battery. You may read this page to understand what's going on and proceed to step 1 (described below).
    Please remember at this point: a battery that is not fully charged OR charged, but bad, will probably ruin your test. If you are not sure about the battery condition, get a battery that is KNOWN to be good, charge it fully and repeat the test.
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

Hi,

Search feature:

Use the "Advanced Search" and "Titles Only", search for the word "charging" and you will find all you could ever want to know about charging issues.

Read The Stator Papers too, then visit the electrical section of my little website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Funny how people can find GSR using a search engine or similar, but can't be bothered to search once they get here.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanx BCap for USeful info.
          Last edited by Guest; 08-17-2011, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by t-money View Post
            Okay I didn't see it on the first page here.
            Please help..
            I have a 1980 Gs 1000.. Doesn't seem to be charging.
            Does anyone know what the voltage should be while it's running?

And do any of you experts know of a common problem on these?

Please help I wanna ride more than just around the block...
            Common problem with charging system?
            - Stator.
            - Regulator/Rectifyer.
            - Connections between stator and R/R.
            - Ground connection to R/R (Which is ground connection to battery box).

Notice that it was written by Nessman.

In the Garage (on GSR home page, not forumn, but GSR home page).

Look about halfway down for Stator Papers.
            Stator Papers also elsewhare on BassCliff site.

Last edited by Redman; 08-16-2011, 09:41 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by t-money View Post
              Thanx BCap for USeful info.

I really appreciate it.
              As for the other sarcastic comments...
              Well i was pretty clear and asked nicely for help in a hurry.
              If i had hours of time to kill..sure..id search the archives study the manual..maybe take a course on gs charging systems.
              Jist thought id ask someone who mite have similar experience.
              I did search and nothing specific without reading 26 pages of posts..so sorry i inconvenienced you guys.

At least now i learned that no posts are allowed if it has ever neen mentioned before...hmm..i guess that is almost every post on here.

Thanks for the welcome.
              And BCAP..its nice to know that there are at least..a few..compassionate internet users left.

Charging system problems are the most common of all that get posted here. Instead of expecting others to spoon feed you, learn to use the search function and endear yourself to the regulars here that put a lot of effort into helping people that are actually trying.

As Cliff stated... "Use the "Advanced Search" and "Titles Only", search for the word "charging" and you will find all you could ever want to know about charging issues."
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Comment

My only issue with your post is what would have been so pressing that you couldn't spend the time looking? Even with my bike being the daily driver right now, I know my issues have been seen before and if I need to get the answer it might just be faster for me to go looking for it. These guys do know a lot of things about fixing your bike but most of these questions are asked up to ten times a day. Why should anyone repeat themselves that often when you can take just a few minutes and search for it? Not to mention the fact that not everyone is always on the system so you might just have to wait for several hours/days to find the answer. Yet had you searched you might find it within a few minutes and be back on the road again.

Like Ed said, you can't expect to be spoonfed your entire life...you have to work for things.

What does your multimeter tell you now?
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hi,

It's too bad the search results links don't stay active for very long.

I've had charging issues, as have most all GS owners. How didi I fix it? I cleaned every electrical connection on the entire wiring harness including the fuse box, blinker stalks, grounds, battery terminals, etc. I tested the components in my charging system. I replaced the stator. I replaced the regulator/rectifier. It's all documented on my website. Click a few times, read a few pages, it's all there for you.

I was not being sarcastic. I was trying to teach you. Your "mega-welcome" contains almost all of the information you need to service all of the usual problems with these bikes. It's in one of your other threads. Give it a read.

BassCliff
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-17-2011, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Sorry

Sorry If i started on the wrong foot.

Let me please apologize for my quick re action lastnite.

I did search.I could not find anything that seemed to give me solid meat and potatoe answers.
                    It looked like a lot of people posting "clever 1 liners".

Now that I am at a computer it is a little easier to sort thru to find what I'm looking for.

My meter says anywhere from 12.65 to 12.88 while shes running-about the same as when the battery is out of the bike.
                    Now, keep in mind I wasnt revving to high, maybe about 3k rpm.

A "friend" told me that hi 12s sounds normal..but that doesnt seem right.I'd expect a little more when she's running and suposedly "charging" the battery.

I was reccomended this place by a freind..and you guys seem to have all the answers..hopefully we can starte fresh, and I can hang out here.

Thanks
                    T

Comment

Your bike is not charging. It should read near 14 volts at 3000 rpm.

Cliff's web site has tons of into on how to check your stator, R/R, etc. Find the Stator Papers and follow the routine. It's pretty easy stuff and there is tons of info available to guide you.

Good luck.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Comment

You're making it too easy -you'll spoil us all and we will get even lazier!
                        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

In all fairness to Tmoney, I have used the search feature many times with mixed results. When I first joined I had no idea where those dang stator papers were, til I discovered quite accidently, that they were not on THIS website. Which begs the question. Why is there no link to either bikecliffs or gs resources from this site ?
                          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                          1983 GS 750

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                            In all fairness to Tmoney, I have used the search feature many times with mixed results. When I first joined I had no idea where those dang stator papers were, til I discovered quite accidently, that they were not on THIS website. Which begs the question. Why is there no link to either bikecliffs or gs resources from this site ?
                            There is a link near the bottom of this page to the GSResources Homepage, of which the forum is a subsidiary (this forum is part of the GS Resources website). If you take the time to read the information at the top of the GSR forum before you login, you will see links to my website and other useful information.

Plus, the first section of my "mega-welcome" to new users reads:

-----------------------------

Dear fellow GS rider,

Let it be known that on this day you are cordially and formally welcomed to the GSR Forum as a Junior Member in good standing with all the rights and privileges thereof. Further let it be known that your good standing can be improved with pictures (not you, your bike)!

Perhaps you've already seen these, but I like to remind all the new members. In addition to the
                            CV Carb Rebuild Series (by John Bloemer), the Mikuni BS(CV) Carburetor Rebuild Tutorial (by Ed Ness), the VM Carb Rebuild Guide (by Paul Musser), I recommend visiting the In The Garage section via the GSR Homepage and check out the Stator Papers. There's also a lot of great information in the Old Q&A section. I have some documentation on my little BikeCliff website to help get you familiar with doing routine maintenance tasks (note that it is 850G-specific but many tasks are common to all GS bikes). Other "user contributed" informational sites include those of Mr. bwringer, Mr. tfb and Mr. robertbarr. And if your bike uses shims for valve adjustments, send an email to Mr. Steve requesting a copy of his Excel spreadsheet that helps you keep track of clearances, shim sizes and other service work.

-------------------

It's all right there. All you have to do is click and read. Can it be any simpler?

As Will Rogers used to say, "It's amazing what you can observe, just by watching."

BassCliff
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-17-2011, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X