Engine not starting: bad starter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine not starting: bad starter?

Yesterday I went to take the bike out for a spin but could not get it to start. The bike is an '82 gs 650G. In the past I have jumped it with cables (car off) and it would start right up, but this time nothing, not even a click when i hit the button. I tried jumping it just in case the battery was dead (last ride about a month ago), but still nothing. All the fuses in the box under the seat are ok. It does start and run if I bump start it by getting a running start. I figured it has to be either the button or a bad starter. Any way to test the starter? Any advice on where to start first?

Thanks,

Chris

Welcome to the site. The first thing in any charging system is to check the battery. What voltage is your battery when the key is off and on? Have you looked over all of your connections to make sure nothing is cut? When you say you checked your fuses, did you just look at them or test them with a power light? You need over 12v to start and your fuses can break under the metal caps where you cannot see them.

Basscliff will be along later with the official welcome that will include links to several pages of information - read and heed. Learn how to use the search feature here as this question is EXTREMELY common. Click on Search, Advanced Search, enter "not starting" and click titles only.

Throw your bike info in your signature.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. paintman111,

If you short the solenoid with a screwdriver, will the starter turn the engine over? It could be a bad battery. It could be a dirty start button switch. It could be a faulty, rusted, intermittent connection anywhere. When was the last time you went through the entire wiring harness to clean the connections and grounds, checking for melted connectors and worn insulation?

Anyway, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Since you say it bump starts, it's likely battery, solenoid,or starter problem. Battery is the most likely culprit. You've been on here a while, so you must have noticed all the attention to charging systems.You don't seem to ride this bike much, is it new to you or a second bike? The starter motor on this bike is a pain to remove, so let's hope it's something else. Does this bike still have clutch safety switch?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Since you say it bump starts, it's likely battery, solenoid,or starter problem. Battery is the most likely culprit. You've been on here a while, so you must have noticed all the attention to charging systems.You don't seem to ride this bike much, is it new to you or a second bike? The starter motor on this bike is a pain to remove, so let's hope it's something else. Does this bike still have clutch safety switch?
          This is a good question!
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Fixed the problem, followed the wire diagram and found a loose connection. Battery was fine. Even if its a dead battery it should still start with jumper cables, or at the least make a clicking noise. I've been on and off here since '07, but didn't go on for about a year. When I came back my username was gone and there was nothing on the forums. I'm guessing the site got hit or something? I signed up again with the same username. I do ride alot, I've put about 20k on the gs in the 5 years i've owned it as well as rebuild the engine. This past summer though, with a new job and moving, time as been scarce so it has been sitting. Thanks everyone for the help, and I'll try to stick around more this time.

To answer the above question this is the first bike I ever bought, but I have owned three so far. One other gs650 and a gsx600, both which I sold.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2011, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Paintmann Chris,

Welcome back to GSR.

If you dont sign in for a period of time (3 months?) your username expires.
              (I know, that is different than most forums. Has been discussed at length many times before. THat is what Administrator Frank wants to do, and he does all this on his own, so okay. Is one of ther few remaining mo'cycle forumns that is not taken over by sponsers and advertizments.)

Where was the disconnected wire? What was it? How you find it?

I, too, had a 82 650G.
              Got it new and Had it for 20+ years.

Dave

Last edited by Redman; 08-20-2011, 10:05 PM.
              http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
              Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Sorry for the late reply. It was the wire for the starter up by the fuse box. It uses bullet connectors and I guess one of them got pinched and disconnected when I put the seat back on...at least I think that's what happened. I ended up throwing some electrical tape around it to stop it from coming loose again.

Comment

Working...
                X