Turn signal relay mod not working!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a theory!

I'm going to run some 18 awg primary wire from the battery's positive terminal to the relay. Then, I'm going to run the grounds from the turn signals to the battery's negative posts and see what happens.

Comment

I think the switching in the harness takes place on the negative side so more voltage on the + side may not help if you still have resistance on the grounds. If you can, I would look through the wiring diagram for your bike and check/clean/dielectric grease all connections in the signal circuit.

Comment

Hi,

Where did that bright blue wire come from?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Here's What I Did!

First, to Basscliff- The blue wire is just some primary wire, and acting as my temporary ground to the battery.

Second- I did as stated in my last post, and I got absolutely nothing! Power from battery to the terminal of the relay that takes the o/g wire, and took all the grounds from relay and turn signals directly to the battery.

Yet, as stated before, hooking up turn signals via old relay lights all four turn signals properly, yet, does not allow them to blink.

P.S., I have come to the conlusion I have bad wiring from the battery to everywhere, as I am only seeing 7-8v at the o/w wire on the coils. That's my other thread.

Comment

Correction

I have not ran the ground from the front blinkers to the battery. I have them utilizing the ground connections in the bucket. Hmmmm!

Comment

What other problems does the bike have?? I think you have a power/ground corrosion somewhere ..

Comment

Are those lights grounded to the frame?
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Lights are grounded temporarily to the negative terminal of the battery, except the front ones. Will ground those to the battery tomorrow. Like barnbiketom said, I def have some corrosion issues!

The other problem I have is the fact that the bike decided to quit on me over the weekend, as seen in the "'82 GS650L STARTING PROBLEMS" thread in this electrical thread. I just received the coils and ignitor in the mail today. I will test the ignitor and signal generator tomorrow after work, to root out those, before I continue on to the coils. I was only getting 7-8v via the o/w wire of the coil, yet very light spark. Corrosion somewhere, igniton, kill switch, who knows. We are going to try the relay mod and hope that cures the problem and gets this bike going again.

Comment

I found that all the lights needed to be grounded for the system to be complete. I know that's not always the base but it was for my bike.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Blinkers have their own earth wire running through the harness. They do not use the frame as an earth. When I rewired my bike I replaced the normal earth wires in the harness with 15 amp wire to guarantee good earths/grounds through out the wiring harness where ever it tapped out to items such as blinkers.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                        Blinkers have their own earth wire running through the harness. They do not use the frame as an earth. When I rewired my bike I replaced the normal earth wires in the harness with 15 amp wire to guarantee good earths/grounds through out the wiring harness where ever it tapped out to items such as blinkers.
                        Not necessarily Don. I have four stock Suzuki signals on mine where the only way to ground them was a separate wire going to the frame. It threw me for a loop after getting them to replace one that broke. Put the new ones on and spent the better part of an evening trying to figure out why until Steve had me try to attach a separate ground wire to the older ones.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

My lights stayed bright when I first tried them was because they weren't grounded properly. Once I grounded all lights they blinked as needed.

Comment

If you look at his first picture you will see two wires coming of each blinker unit. One goes up the tube to take 12v to the bulb the other wire (black) mounts with large copper lug against the base of the blinker unit, this black wire then plugs into another black wire which is part of the wiring loom and goes back to the "-ive" side of the battery eventually.

In picture 2 you will see four earth wires connecting together to run to various locations on the bike to do their appropriate jobs.

I stand corrected if other GS bikes use another system, but I am not aware of them.

Comment

Tried Everything I could . . .

So, I grounded all four turn signals to the battery, and still no luck! I ended up removing the relay mod and re-soldered the old relay in. They may not blink, but, for now at least they light!

Comment

Working...
                              X