84 GS1100GK starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 GS1100GK starter

I took the starter off and sent it to a rebuild shop because it was slow and dragging while cranking. He ordered a kit that was suppose to fit and found out that it wouldn't. My starter has 2 brushes and bushings instead of needle bearings. The kit that he got had 4 brushes and needle bearings. The only thing that I could think of is that the starter came off a smaller bike and that is why is slow to crank. any input on this would really be helpful.

Look on www.stockers.com

Comment

That still doesn't tell me why the kits wont fit my starter. I might have to go that route and buy a new starter.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyspeed View Post
        That still doesn't tell me why the kits wont fit my starter. I might have to go that route and buy a new starter.
        It doesn't fit because it's for the wrong bike......

Why not buy the brush set from Suzuki for about $35-40 and replace them yourself ?
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Suzuki used a couple of different suppliers for starter motors, and the distribution can be random. Usually, Stockers.com will have the correct information, but sometimes you have to improvise.

It's also possible that your GK is wearing a starter from another model, which may further confuse the issue -- there's a lot of cross-compatibility. None are any stronger or weaker; on any starter that fits, the motors are all the same physical size, and the number of teeth on the gear will be the same.

If you examine your starter carefully, you should uncover a small marking that reveals the name of the manufacturer -- an "ND" for Nippon Denso, three diamonds for Mitsubishi, etc.

You can also compare your motor's brush plate and parts with the photos on Stocker's site to locate the correct parts.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
            It doesn't fit because it's for the wrong bike......

Why not buy the brush set from Suzuki for about $35-40 and replace them yourself ?

That would if the brushes were the problem. The problem is my starter has a bushing and the kit has bearings. My bushings are worn out.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              Suzuki used a couple of different suppliers for starter motors, and the distribution can be random. Usually, Stockers.com will have the correct information, but sometimes you have to improvise.

It's also possible that your GK is wearing a starter from another model, which may further confuse the issue -- there's a lot of cross-compatibility. None are any stronger or weaker; on any starter that fits, the motors are all the same physical size, and the number of teeth on the gear will be the same.

If you examine your starter carefully, you should uncover a small marking that reveals the name of the manufacturer -- an "ND" for Nippon Denso, three diamonds for Mitsubishi, etc.

You can also compare your motor's brush plate and parts with the photos on Stocker's site to locate the correct parts.
              My starter guy crossed the number over to 4 wheeler part.

Comment

The 1100s to my knowledge had bearings and four brushes.
                I think your starter was changed to a smaller model one.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Hyspeed,

I hope I'm not too late to the party.

Anyway, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    The 1100s to my knowledge had bearings and four brushes.
                    I think your starter was changed to a smaller model one.
                    I believe your right. I guess I'll break down and order a new one.

Comment

Check eBay
                      I have one but it needs rebuilt
                      Is the shop going to make you pay for the rebuild kit?
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Your Gs1100Gk could have a

Nippondenso
                        Replacesenso Stockers #:SS-16
                        Fits: Suzuki Motorcycle
                        1980-1982 GS550
                        1981-1982 GS650E
                        1980-1983 GS750E
                        1980-1983 GS850G
                        1980-1982 GS1000
                        1980-1984 GS1100

or it could have a

Mitsuba Stockers #:SS-5 Retail Price: Fits: Suzuki Motorcycle
                        1980-1982 GS550
                        1981-1982 GS650E
                        1980-1983 GS750E
                        1980-1983 GS850G
                        1980-1982 GS1000
                        1980-1984 GS1100

Your rebuild shop would have to know to check and see which you had, before ordering the rebuild kit.

The NipponDenso have two brushes.

Mine has the Mitsuba, which has 4 brushes.

Last edited by Redman; 08-20-2011, 08:20 PM.
                        http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          Check eBay
                          I have one but it needs rebuilt
                          Is the shop going to make you pay for the rebuild kit?
                          No. I have already ordered a starter from Stockers.com

Comment

Working...
                          X