Signal Generator Magnets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signal Generator Magnets

What type of magnets are in the signal generator on 83 model bikes with electronic advance? I need one.

Originally posted by Woodsy View Post
    What type of magnets are in the signal generator on 83 model bikes with electronic advance? I need one.
    Can you post a pic of this- someone might have one.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I believe they are a "rare earth" type and be advised they are super brittle and will crack apart and disintigrate to dust with any kind of pressure.

They are different sizes on the different bikes so are not likely to be interchangeable (as they are pre-drilled to fit the screws anchoring them to the plate).

Sorry but I am not sure what you can use other than pickups from a similar bike.

Let us know what you end up doing / using.

Spyug

Comment

mine are brittle things not like a magnet for a hard drive at all,
        pretty low strength as well.

I am sure the magnetic field would need to be close to identical if you did not want to overwhelm the igniter.

Too low a pulse and no spark. To high and the 1-4 and 2-3 pickups might cross talk.

You see these on Ebay quite often why not wait to snag a full set of coils?

Comment

Okay i got some dodgy photos, they are 20mmx16mm will see if i can put the pics up

Comment

Comment

\mine are exactly like that.

I am looking at one now.

So the gs 550 83-86 pulse coils use the same magnet.
              As even a dead coil would probably have a good magnet why not go that route?

Got a picture of the pulse coils themselves?

Comment

There is a pic there of what they look like, thought i would link to it rather than put the pic up as its pretty big.
                Last edited by Guest; 08-21-2011, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Sorry I meant pulse generator coils.

The thing the magnet sits under.

Comment

I edited it for you, as soon as i put that pic up i went ' der thats not it josh ' lol

Comment

By golly those are identical to the 83-86 gs 550 bikes!

I see ebay listings for the pistons that make them appear to be identical as well.

That may reduce your searching.
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-21-2011, 09:46 PM.

Comment

I got conflicting information today, one company says its probably alnico and the other says its probably Ferrite

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsy View Post
                          I got conflicting information today, one company says its probably alnico and the other says its probably Ferrite
                          Yay for helpful advice! You stuck a wanted thread in here yet? Someone may have a spare 550 set around... actually Spyug may do after he did his funky ignition stuff to his 550...
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Have put one up now, i just want to get this thing going, i would rather get some from a bike rather than a magnet manufacturer as i know the bike ones work.

Comment

I do have the set that came off my 550 but they are, unfortunately, cracked and broken. As I mentioned, they are really very brittle and when trying to remove the screws holding them to the mounting plate they got pretty beat up.

Magnets from any of the other bikes should work but getting them off in one piece is the trick. If they do break I think you could epoxy the pieces together. I did actually break the magnets on my 750 conversion plate ( trying to get the pickups off so I could re-engineer the plate) and held them back in place with very small rubber bands around their circumference. They still work fine.

Good luck with it.
                              Cheers,
                              Spyug

Comment

Working...
                              X