Your plug gap opion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    Cracks me up when people think they know better than Suzuki and NGK.
    Like the people that don't use a torque wrench when Suzuki lists the specs?

When I have a bomb between my legs that can rev to 10,000+ rpm,
    it is nice to know that it was put together correctly.

Just sayin'

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
      Like the people that don't use a torque wrench when Suzuki lists the specs?

When I have a bomb between my legs that can rev to 10,000+ rpm,
      it is nice to know that it was put together correctly.

Just sayin'

Daniel

So my bike is going to blow up because I didn't torque my valve cover?

Comments like this are mean spirited Daniel and not in keeping with a logical progression related to the topic at hand.

I've worked in the OE automotive field for 21 years, and in the Quality field for longer than that. There is this thing called "process capability", which is a statical method by which manufactures quantify how well their manufacturing method produces parts within the production tolerance allowance. A high "capability" means they are consistently producing within the requirement. NGK spark plugs have a very high capability related to the gap width. High enough so that it's relatively meaningless to check them before install.

And speaking of "inspection" as a method of assuring quality: how much inspection do you think major OE auto producers perform on the parts coming into their factory? The answer is NONE. So Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Ford/etc don't check the plug gaps before sticking them into OE engines, yet you feel it's necessary?
      Last edited by Nessism; 08-21-2011, 11:52 AM.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hi,

I think we've found a subject that can replace our oil and tire discussions.

Fun stuff!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Cracks me up when people think they know better than Suzuki.
          I was simply agreeing with you and you get your underwear in a bunch?

If Suzuki wanted you to install plugs "out of the box" why do they give specifications in the FACTORY MANUAL?

As for torque specs for cam covers,
          I guess that SUZUKI had an over abundance of paper and ink when they listed those torque specs in the FACTORY MANUAL also?

I guess that those that know better, include yourself?

Just sayin'

Daniel
          Last edited by Guest; 08-21-2011, 12:23 PM.

Comment

No biggy

If Suzuki wanted you to install plugs "out of the box" why do they give specifications in the FACTORY MANUAL?

I guess that those that know better, include you?

Just sayin'

daniel
            In case you hadn't noticed, people getting upset about routine stuff is pretty much normal on this forum.

As far as the spark plug gap, I've experimented with wide and narrow gaps (within range) and never been able to tell the difference.
            1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

As for torque specs for cam covers,
              I guess that SUZUKI had an over abundance of paper and ink when they listed those torque specs in the FACTORY MANUAL also?

I guess that those that know better, include yourself?

Just sayin'

Daniel
              Every fastener has a torque spec., but that doesn't mean you have to pull out your torque wrench for them all. Wrenching requires a bit of common sense, which is greatly helpful in determining which fasteners are critical and should be torqued with a measuring device.

And regarding the gap spec in the manual, of course it's there. But like torque on a fastener, that doesn't mean you have to break out your measuring device every time you replace one.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider
                Would widening the gap of your plugs help save the pistons? Reduce the knocks?

DP
                Not as much as changing the timing, at the points.

Here's an ancedote for those that just bang em in with out looking...

In 1984 I had a new Kawa KL250 trail bike, this bike had so called CDR ignition. It was my only bike, and transport and as such I used to ride it everywhere, across the hot dusty plains of my youth. with no head wind or hill it would pull 100kmh on the highway... (wow)

Any way one day I shouted it a service, oil and brought a shiny new plug, from the local small town garage. Little did I know that this plug had been in and out of its box and packing proir to purchase and at some time been dropped on its end. Now it those days, I had little tools or money or knowledge, so the new plug was bunged in, no adjustment needed, or known of.

Off to the pub that night on a date, cause in those days I was a dashing young man with many options, and picked up the then GF. Once loaded the bike started pinging, and got worse climbing hills etc. (no "make out point" for me that night) The next few days proved very frustrating and I couldnt work it out why it would ping.

The grey haired and bearded mechanic at the said local garage, shook his head and muttered obsenities when on removal of the timing cover no points or adjustment was found. Now wild theroies abounded, about the new evil embeded in the CDR black box, a whole tank of fuel wasted, and lengthy fruitless disscussions with the nearest Kawasaki dealer some 350 KLM away.

Now I must give grey beard some credit, but with hindsight I would suggest there was "bugger me type dawning of realisation" , but if there was in the shadows of the workshop, he hid it well, when he pulled out "new" plug. The gap was all but non existant!

Now I do recall it was grey beard that told me about plug gaps and timing and sold me some feeler gauges, with instructions to "check it".

Cheers John
                Last edited by Guest; 08-22-2011, 05:02 AM. Reason: I canna spell

Comment

I've noticed that most of the posters on here seem to be pretty meticulous about maintenance. Hours are spent adjusting valves, recording shims, cleaning carbs. Wiring improvements are figured out, relay mods are done. And after all that is done, time is spent on the forum discussing or arguing about it. And some won't take 10 seconds to check a plug gap out of the box. The thing is already in your hand. All you have to do is take the other hand pick up a wire type feeler guage and check it. 5-10 seconds. You probably won't even have to adjust, because it's probably right. But if it isn't, look how much time you've saved catching it now, instead of trying to figure it out later. By spending a total of less than a minute, you're able to say, "No, that can't be the problem, I checked that". Come on, we all know that if there is a problem on start-up after a plug change, the first thing we'll check is the plug gap, if only visually.

Comment

Sad but true

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
                    And after all that is done, time is spent on the forum discussing or arguing about it.
                    That's why you'll notice there are a lot more forum members than there are forum participants. Different people have different hobbies. Many people are perfectly happy to learn about these bikes and then go out and ride theirs!
                    1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

Working...
                    X