Starter is deadsies... I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter is deadsies... I think

Ok so I scored a 77 gs750 for $425 and have been fixing things up on it. Previous owner said that the only way he could start the bike was with the kick starter. Well, the wiring had numerous problems that I had to deal with, but I digress.

Just want a quick confirmation that my starter is truly dead before I spend the money on a new one, for peace of mind and justification of the funds spent.

I push the starter button and hear the solenoid click, I can measure 12.04 volts at the starter but it does nothing. After removal of the starter I cleaned up the commutator (it had a glaze of some sort on it) by sanding and using mineral spirits. I clean the brushes, measure them: 1 is 11mm and the other is 10mm, well above the 6mm service limit, but below what is standard. I attempt to measure the mica undercut but really its too hard to get a .6mm read.

Anyway after all that the starter will turn but only sometimes. I have it hooked up to a car battery off the bike and it seems that often I have to "help it" to turn, meaning I physically spin it while applying power to get it started.

So considering the bike has 44k and is nearing 35 years old am I right to just assume that the starter is pretty much dead and needs to be replaced? Or can it be serviced and retain its employment in the fabulous field of GS cranking?

Toasties.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by SinNombre View Post
      .....I push the starter button and hear the solenoid click, I can measure 12.04 volts at the starter but it does nothing.
      Yes, Voltage at the starter, but starter not doing anything, yes, starter is not a starter anymore. Assuming you are measuring that 12volts at the same place as the starter, At the starter termonal and the engine ground (not frame graound, not battery negitive).

Originally posted by SinNombre View Post
      ... I have it hooked up to a car battery off the bike and it seems that often I have to "help it" to turn, meaning I physically spin it while applying power to get it started.
      Okay, no question now.
      It should jump so quick that have a hard time holding it down.

Maybe a rebuild kit of new brushes might help. But maybe more problems like bearings and such.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

If you apply 12v direct to the starter it should try and jump out of your hand

Comment

Alright, that is sufficient persuasion for me. I'll scour Ebay for a cheapie starter then.
          Thanks for the input.
          Last edited by Guest; 08-22-2011, 12:42 AM.

Comment

I would bid on this one ! Compare the mounting lugs -

Comment

Yeah, looks like it should fit. Are these the same dimensions though? I guess I can answer my own question by comparing OEM part numbers at bikebandit.com. Thanks for the heads up.

Yep all same part number.
              Last edited by Guest; 08-22-2011, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X