Am I doing this right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I doing this right?

Having a little trouble getting my '79 GS1000E to run right. Discovered no.1 cyl wasn't firing. Now I've almost decided that the trouble is intermittent with all 4 cylinders. Spark seems really weak at the plugs, and seems to come and go. I've obviously got an electrical problem, but I wanted to rule out the Accel coils. Never done a coil test before. Both coils read about the same as the pics. I have 12+ volts at both orange/white wires with the ground anywhere, including bat. Plug wires are new, made from a MSD generic cut-to-fit set for a car. That may be my problem. Plugs are new. Installing new Dynatec ignition last week didn't change a thing. Timing was set with a light, adjusted both pick-ups on the Dynatec. I really gotta get some alligator clips for my multimeter!

You got 3.6 ohms on primary and 11690 ohms on secondary (between plug connections)- what the resisitance of this car plug wire?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Meter is set at 20k. I've got 3 wires reading .6 approx, and 1 reading 3 approx. Also noticed the reading jumps around as I wiggle that wire. All the others stay rock steady. Guess I've got a bad plug wire. First hint of that was when I put the timing light on No. 1 wire and got no flash. Thought my timing light was bad. Moved it to No. 4 and it worked. Genius that I am, I marked the wires on the coil caps as I made them up, 1,2,3,4. When I removed them, I pulled all the coil caps without noting which wire they came from. So I don't know if my bad wire came from No.1. Boner move on my part. Will these wires work ok with the new NGK plug caps I bought? I'll just make up a new set, and check them before I install. These are not solid copper wires, box reads "8 mm, spirally wound for high EMI suppresion, 500 ohms per foot resistance". I had trouble finding wires and caps locally. Would have ordered a new set when I ordered the Dynatek from Z1, but I thought I was good.

Here's a link to the thread I started on the plug wires.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-23-2011, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X