Shift lights don't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift lights don't work

On my 83 650 katana the nuetral light and the gear indicator lights don't work. The lights light up when you put power to them. Just wondering if it might be the switch on the transmission.

Originally posted by chris6888 View Post
    Just wondering if it might be the switch on the transmission.
    Only way to know for sure will be to test the switch. D/L your bike's service manual from the BikeCliff site and test it out.

Comment

Make sure the wires are plugged in to the transmission sending unit. It's easy to miss that plug if you've done any work in that area. Mine comes unplugged easily on my 850, so I zip-tied it.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBen View Post
        Only way to know for sure will be to test the switch. D/L your bike's service manual from the BikeCliff site and test it out.
        Yes, or just scoop the deluxe colored wiring diagram for the 650s' on Basscliff's site- a must for unscrambling a Suzuki's wiring.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Does the oil pressure light work? Neutral, gear and oil pressure are switched by negative. If all of the above lights or 2 out of 3 dont work, the power to your lights has failed.

In that case, take off the back of your gauges and check which wires supply power to those light bulbs. Mine are orange, check your diagram for the right colour. Those wires should ALWAYS have +12V power when the bike is switched on.

With my 850, there was 1 orange power wire coming from the connector under the gastank, 4 orange wires arrived at the gauges, so those wires will be soldered from 1 to 4 somewhere in the loom between the connector and gauges. Thats where they usually break.

Use the multimeter to measure resistance to find those cable breaks.

Comment

i have power at the lights for the neutral light the turn signal light works when the signals are on the other ones dont light up but if i put power direct to them the bulbs light up.

Comment

Originally posted by chris6888 View Post
              i have power at the lights for the neutral light the turn signal light works when the signals are on the other ones dont light up but if i put power direct to them the bulbs light up.
              That means you only proved that the bulbs themselves are not broken. Have you measured the voltage on the wire that normally powers the gear indicator and neutral?

Comment

Working...
              X