No announcement yet.

Please help katana is dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok thanks for all of your help. I believed I traced a yellow green wire from the headlight bucket to back of bike and it ended up going to the tail light which all those wires are disconnected because there is no tail light

Comment

Does this picture help?

Comment

Yea I dont have that wire on there. That wire goes right to the starter switch on the bars right?

Comment

OK, So we've got about 4" of Y/G wire coming off of the solenoid to a bullet end. I haven't traced the other side of it, but it SHOULD go up to the headlight bucket, where it would meet one end the clutch switch (that is, if the clutch switch were not bypassed, as it is on mine). The other end from the clutch switch should go to another Y/G wire, which would lead back to the harness for the right hand control, from which it goes to the starter switch.

If you look at the picture of the solenoid (part #1) from the "electrical" fiche for your bike, you can make out the wire connected to that solder pad as it is on mine. So that must be the OEM setup (I got my bike when it was 27 years old, with some modifications in those years, so sometimes it's hard to know what was OEM or not):

Comment

Ok so if I were to just jump the starter would I give the black starter wire power then jump it to where the green wire should be?

Comment

You would jump from the red wire terminal (which is already hot) to where the Y/G wire should be. That will activate the solenoid: then it should complete the circuit between the large red and black wires.

If this bike has been sitting for a few years, you might try turning the motor over with a wrench under the ignition cover (use the big nut under the little bolt head) to make sure it's not frozen. Or you could put it into 6th gear and try rocking it to ensure the pistons are free. Take the plugs out so you're not fighting compression.

Comment

Ok trying to turn it over by jumping it. When I first did it it turned over a few times but now the starter switch just keeps clicking like its not giving the,starter power. Any ideas?

Comment

Sounds like the battery is dead. What's the history on the battery? New? Came with? Did you charge it? Do you have a charger that puts out 2A or less? (never charge a MC battery at more than 2A)

Comment

Ive been using a jump starter that I use to jump my car or whoevers when their battery is dead. Bike doesnt have a battery. It did turn it over but then it stopped. The black wire is getting 13 volts while being jumped

Comment

Snug/tight/clean Pos. and Neg cable connections at battery.Check snug/tight/clean Pos.connection at starter solenoid connection... and cable from solenoid to starter itself.Follow Neg battery cable to engine ground point,check snug/tight/clean.

Comment

Working...
                      X