82 GS 650 Starting Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS 650 Starting Problems

I tried to find my old post but couldnt. My roommate has an 82 GS650 and could not get it to start. It was working fine for a few months but then wouldnt hold a charge and now will not start or run unless it is pop started.

Battery is GOOD....had it tested and bought a new one.

Tested Stator; bad....Now replaced with brand new one....

Start button is still good....

When start button is pressed, bike makes a "whirring" noise by the battery...

Possibly the starter motor relay??????

Please help....

Originally posted by new0688 View Post
    I tried to find my old post but couldnt. My roommate has an 82 GS650 and could not get it to start. It was working fine for a few months but then wouldnt hold a charge and now will not start or run unless it is pop started.

Battery is GOOD....had it tested and bought a new one.

Tested Stator; bad....Now replaced with brand new one....

Start button is still good....

When start button is pressed, bike makes a "whirring" noise by the battery...

Possibly the starter motor relay??????

Please help....
    Wow, I never had thoughtful roommates like this! If it bump starts and runs ok, then it sounds like starter motor or starter clutch has failed- the whirring noise might be the starter clutch- this is located in same place where you put in new stator. Did you make sure the small gear set ( connects the starter motor gear to flywheel gear) got put back in after you changed stator?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes, all of of the gears are put back in correctly....

Comment

to clarify the noise... it sounds almost like when you are in a car that is already running and you turn the key again.... that rapid clicking noise.

before the stator was replaced he could bump start it or start it while connected to an external charger. now it will not start from an external charger and we have not tried to bump start it since replacing the stator.

Comment

Originally posted by new0688 View Post
          to clarify the noise... it sounds almost like when you are in a car that is already running and you turn the key again.... that rapid clicking noise.

before the stator was replaced he could bump start it or start it while connected to an external charger. now it will not start from an external charger and we have not tried to bump start it since replacing the stator.
          More clues- so the starter motor would work with the "external charger" and then you changed stator- will starter motor work now with that external charger? Rapid clicking could be solenoid responding to drop in voltage as it tries to kick in. When you removed starter motor cover to fish stator wires thru there, did you make sure not to short out the terminal/wire that runs to the solenoid?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Sounds like your battery doesn't have the cold cranking amps required to crank over the engine.

And if not that, and you are 100% sure that it has plenty (but by the way you say it, being that if it's on an external charger it does fine) i could be the solenoid.

I would first start by trying a different battery. Try a damn car battery just set it on and connect the cables and see if it cranks. If it does it means your current battery needs more CCA.

Comment

Working...
            X