82 gs850gl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs850gl

Just picked up my first GS. Lovin it. She needs some TLC. Any help is greatly appreciated with some electrical issues I'm having. Let's start with the gauge lights. The idiot lights work, but the running lights do not. My rear running light doesn't work either. Fuses are all good. Are these on the same circuit?

Are the turn lamps supposed to have running lights as well? I'm thinking that they don't.

The left turn signal stopped working so I have a new relay on order as well as new tach and speedo cables.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by Good Times View Post
      Just picked up my first GS. Lovin it. She needs some TLC. Any help is greatly appreciated with some electrical issues I'm having. Let's start with the gauge lights. The idiot lights work, but the running lights do not. My rear running light doesn't work either. Fuses are all good. Are these on the same circuit?

Are the turn lamps supposed to have running lights as well? I'm thinking that they don't.

The left turn signal stopped working so I have a new relay on order as well as new tach and speedo cables.
      GT,

Looking at scehmatic (82 850G/GL), I see a ground wire and only one other wire going to front t/signal. Same for rear. So, just the one lamp filiment in t/signal.

I have a color schematic for 80 850G/GL scanned, that I could email to you (PM me your email).

Did you get the t/signal relay or the t/signal control unit (expensive)?
      My understanding (just from looking at the scehmatic) is that the relay doesnt do anything specific to the left or to the right. The relay just "knows" that the switch is either in left or right but doesnt "know" if it is left or if it is right.

When you say "rear running lights" do you mean the lights in the t/signals or do you mean the tail light?

If you look at CLymer scematics, I think the color codes are wrong on the Ignition swtich.
      And the guage lights wire on CLymer has black dott patern that would interperte as "gray", but Suzuki scehamaitc has "Gr" which is green. I will belive the Suzuki scehamic and thing the Clymer was a clerical error mistaking Gr to mean Gray not Green. (this is on the Clymer edition that I have. Later ones may have corrected this.)

On Suzuki schematic the guage lights are on the Green wire along with the licence plate light (that work?). ANd green wire also goes to ignition key swtich to power the tail light (when key in ON, not park).
      THe green wire is powered by a jumper over to the Orange/Green wire which is powered by the "Signal" fuse.
      So, yah, Instrument lights owered by same fuse as the tail light and turn signals. But the instrument lights on that Green wire that is jumpered over to the orange/green wire.

Oh, I suppose I should have first asked if you have a meter and know how to use it. Maybe a test light probe would work for this also.

And we havent seen picture yet.
      (joking)

I could yammer on more about the tail light and the park postion, but lets save that untill you say if problem is the tail light.

Dave

PS: I may have scehamtic scanned for 82 850G/GL also, but is a CLymer with that color error by the ignition swtich.

PS:
      THis may be a leter version, has the instrument lights in green, which is correct.

Last edited by Redman; 08-27-2011, 12:00 PM.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks for the post Redman. Correct on the turn signals. They only have one filament. The tail light is the issue. Brake light works but that's all. It does not light up the plate. I checked the bulb and it is good.

Here are some pictures of how it's currently wired and the tail light.

Two wires (black with white stripe) are cut off. Only single black wire going to the turn signals.

Tail light

Turn signal wire

I checked the bulbs in the gauges and they are good as well. I think I have some creative wiring to redo.

With the left turn signal = I ordered the relay. It seems to be sticking. The right signal works fine. When I turn the left signal on the front light stays on and the rear light is off. Bulb is good. When I tap the relay it blinks. That's why I figured it was the relay. Hoping that is the case and that it's not the controller. Like you said, expensive.

Comment

With the left turn signal = I ordered the relay. It seems to be sticking. The right signal works fine. When I turn the left signal on the front light stays on and the rear light is off. Bulb is good. When I tap the relay it blinks. That's why I figured it was the relay. Hoping that is the case and that it's not the controller. Like you said, expensive.

GT,

More later, but for now: Need the current draw of two bulbs for the flasher relay to work. If only have one bulb, then it will come on but not blink. Maybe tapping on the relay might make it blink for that occassion, but need the current draw of two bulbs to make it blink regularly.
          So, I suspect the reason the left does not blink is not because of a fault with the relay (nor controller, nor anything else) but just because you do not have the rear left operating at all.

I suppose I dont need to mention it, but you do know that tail/brake light is not the stock light.

More later.
          Dave
          Last edited by Redman; 08-28-2011, 02:35 PM.

Comment

I see that for the one t/signal that can see in picture (can see the inside view of the left one) that do not have a ground wire to the t/signal stalk. You may think that dont need one bacuse the t/signal is mounted to that bracket. BUt if look into it furter you will notice that it is mounted in a square rubber gland.

For your reference; I will describe the stock wiring. Colors are refereing to the color of the wires coming from the bikes wiring harness:

Rear Right t/signal: Light Green, and blk/wht ground wire to the stalk mounting.

Rear Left t/signal; Black, and blk/wht ground wire to the stalk mounting.
            (hey, and... isn't that a black wire that looks like it is cut and not connected to anything....?)

Tail Light: Brown for tail light, White for Brake light, and blk/wht for ground.

Licence plate light: ..oh, wait. Scehmatic for 82 850L doesnt show a licence plate light. Never mind. Yah, the Ls have tail light right over the license plate on the rear fender.

LATER NOTE:
            Looking at your photos again, it looks like your rear t/signal have been modified. Usally they have "stalks" about 2 1/2 inches long.
            ANd yours look like they are mounted right to that bracket.
            But, whichever, keep in mind that that threaded stalk threaded pipe thing needs to be grounded, either tru the mounting to the frame or a ground wire on a ring terminal.

Last edited by Redman; 08-28-2011, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks Redman. I hooked up the ground wire to the right turn signal and voila, it works. Imagine that. The other signal still works, but it must be grounding itself through the bolt. I'll be hooking up that ground wire as well. Think I should hang on to that new relay or return it?

As for the tail light. Yes I did know that it isn't stock. I'd love to take it back to stock, but for now just want to get it working. I'll check out the ground. I wonder if that will fix my gauge lamps as well. I just need to spend a little more time on it. At least I got the turn signals working.

Thanks for the help. I think the stator/rectifier is next. The PO told me that it wasn't charging at low RMP's. He had it checked at our local shop but didn't want to pay $300 more to have them replaced.

Comment

Thanks Redman. I hooked up the ground wire to the right turn signal and voila, it works..
                ... The PO told me that it wasn't charging at low RMP's. He had it checked at our local shop but didn't want to pay $300 more to have them replaced.
                Yep, grounding a device is just as important as the power side of the circuit.
                But, ah, I thought it was the left rear one that didnt work.

Naw, even if everything in tip-top condition it will not charge much at all at idle.
                Does it charge at mid prms, like 4000 get upper 13s or low 14s volts?
                Without a voltmeter, if dark outside, point head light at something close, should notice it britten up abit from idle to say 3 thou RPM.

About returning the t/signal relay: Most places will not allow return on electrical parts anyway. Maybe sell in ebay (while looking for a service manual). If it were in a sealed box, maybe can return it.

Now tell us about riding it .

Dave

Last edited by Redman; 08-29-2011, 01:25 PM.

Comment

You are correct. It was the right side. It's working now though.

I picked up new speedo and tach cables today along with the relay. (I'll be hanging on to that part. They don't return. No sweat though.) New plugs and plug wire caps. The old one look like they've been in there a LONG time. The actually have rust on them.

I'll do better than telling you about riding. I actually have access to a go pro camera with a chest mount. Plan on videoing some rides of the Kentucky countryside and posting.

In the meantime, I'm love riding it.

Comment

I'll do better than telling you about riding. I actually have access to a go pro camera with a chest mount. Plan on videoing some rides of the Kentucky countryside and posting.

Just to annoy us midwestern flat-landers, eh?

Good to hear things are progressing.
                    And good that you can do you own work.

Dave

Comment

Pulled #4 plug cap. It had split in half and the top of the plug was black. Think I was loosing any power there? I was running on three cylinders yesterday.

Picked up some new plugs and caps. She woke up! Hello! It still has a little stutter here and there, but it runs better than I've seen it run.

I rode 50 miles and it's like a new bike.

I also installed the tach cable. Pulled the old one off and the connector fell out of the motor end of the cable. That was definitely the problem. New cable connected and the tach is working perfectly. Just have to get those gauge lights working. That will be the next project.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                        Just to annoy us midwestern flat-landers, eh?

Good to hear things are progressing.
                        And good that you can do you own work.

Dave

If you have a laptop just put it on your handle bars and pretend you are riding.

Comment

Working...
                        X