neutral light,oil light and shift lights not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

neutral light,oil light and shift lights not working

On my 83 katana 650 the neutral light won't light up and the gear shift lights don't light up. If i take the plug apart from the neutral saftey switch and put direct power to the wires the gear lights light up but not the neutral light. When i take the neutral saftey switch off and put direct power to the switch the lights light up but not the neutral light. If i have the key on the lights don't light up at all even with putting direct power to the wires or the the switch.

The oil pressure light works if i put direct power to the sender and there is power at the sender. I was wondering if the bike needs to be running for these lights to work. When the bike is running these lights still don't work just wondering where to look next.

Could it be a grounding issue?

Comment

Just wondering if it might be the shift switch on the transmission because the turn signal light works the gauge lights work and the high beam light works the only ones that don't work are the neutral light the oil light and the kick stand light.

Comment

I dont know specifically about the Kats, but on the GS850G and 1100G the gear light and the oil light and the netural light all have power to the light bulbs all the time the key is on, and the netural swtich swtiches to the ground, and the gear swtich swtiches to the ground and the sidestand switch switches to the ground.

And if that is true on the Kat, you should test things by grounding out the wires (not by putting power to them).

I jsut tried to fins a schematic to verify that, but didnt find one.
        Maybe someone can verify that for us.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          I dont know specifically about the Kats, but on the GS850G and 1100G the gear light and the oil light and the netural light all have power to the light bulbs all the time the key is on, and the netural swtich swtiches to the ground, and the gear swtich swtiches to the ground and the sidestand switch switches to the ground.

And if that is true on the Kat, you should test things by grounding out the wires (not by putting power to them).

I jsut tried to fins a schematic to verify that, but didnt find one.
          Maybe someone can verify that for us.

Yes, indeed! They are all grounding out type.
          Chris 6888; did you notice little spring and contact inside gear sending unit when you removed it?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

No nothing in there just the switch that is on the transmission

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              Chris 6888; did you notice little spring and contact inside gear sending unit when you removed it?
              Originally posted by chris6888 View Post
              No nothing in there just the switch that is on the transmission
              Chris,

I suspect that Tom was refering to inside that swtich.

Also, again, that switch needs to be grounded for it to be able to work. THat is how that switch lights the light. That switch connects the wire from the light to the ground to light the light.

And, you said have problem with netural light, oil light and sidestand light. Only thing common to those that would cause all three to not work would be the power to the bulbs in the instrument cluster.
              I cant find a Kat schematic to tell you what color wire to check.

Last edited by Redman; 08-31-2011, 12:20 PM.
              http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
              Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

The gear indicator lights, the neutral light, the oil light and PROBABLY the kickstand light all share a common positive feed when ignition is on. They ground out at their respective sending units to complete the circuit and illuminate.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                X