I have a short somewhere I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a short somewhere I think

My battery keeps going dead. Should there be any continuity between the positive side of my starter cylinoid and the frame of the the bike? I currenly have that.

You have 2 posts on your solenoid. One goes to the battery. The other goes to the starter. A couple of questions:
    Which post are you saying shows continuity to ground?
    Is either cable connected (or both) when you run this test?

Comment

It is the post that goes to the battery. Both post are connected.

Comment

The small wire on the soloniod will have a reading to ground thru the relay, Have you checked the charging circuit ??

Comment

No but that is where I think I am headed. I have never checked a charging system apart from just knowing it works or does not. Not really sure how to do it.

Thank you for the replies, they are appreciated.

Comment

Hi,

Please read your "mega-welcome". It points you to The Stator Papers. It also points you to my little website where I have many "how to" guides for testing and repairing your charging system. See the Electrical Odd and Ends section of my little website for further tips and troubleshooting procedures. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by GSer View Post
              My battery keeps going dead. Should there be any continuity between the positive side of my starter cylinoid and the frame of the the bike? I currenly have that.
              No.

Try disconnecting the R/R red wire, and test again.

Which bike?

Last edited by Redman; 08-29-2011, 09:07 PM.
              http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
              Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

I am really puzzled here. GSer stated the following:
                The solenoid post that is connected to the battery (which is 12V, POS, whatever you want to call it) shows continuity with the frame. This is the first and foremost issue that must be resolved. This cannot be accurate data since this means a direct short and an onsuing fire. Making any sort of recommendations based on this data is futile. GSer, please understand, I am not getting on your case. It is merely that we must have accurate data in order to offer accurate suggestions.
                To clarify; Electrically, there cannot be continuity between that post and the frame. You need to go back repeat. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  I am really puzzled here. GSer stated the following:
                  The solenoid post that is connected to the battery (which is 12V, POS, whatever you want to call it) shows continuity with the frame. This is the first and foremost issue that must be resolved. This cannot be accurate data since this means a direct short and an onsuing fire. Making any sort of recommendations based on this data is futile. GSer, please understand, I am not getting on your case. It is merely that we must have accurate data in order to offer accurate suggestions.
                  To clarify; Electrically, there cannot be continuity between that post and the frame. You need to go back repeat. Best of luck.
                  George, I was a bit puzzled also.
                  But then figured he said "continuity", did not say "direct short", said "continuity" but didnt say how much. YEs, it should be open, no continuity. But a few thousand ohms would drain battery in a day or two.

I am quessing a problem with R/R, so if disconnect that.....
                  Next possibilty, although remote, would be internal problem in soloenoid.

I also suspect that is not charging, but that is not what OP asked.

We can help this guy out.

Dave
                  http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                  Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Dave, I agree with all your points, namely:
                    We can help GSer out, no doubt (hey, that rhymes)
                    The fact that his system is most likely not charging is a separate issue
                    We are not certain what "continuity" means to GSer.
                    Being a literal person, to me that means that when I put my multimeter in continuity mode it buzzes. However, you have a valid point that to someone else it may have a different meaning. I am merely suggesting that we get clarification on this point.
                    And you have a valid point; if it is showing 100 kOhm with the R/R connected and infinity (open, most meters now show 1 ) with it disconnected, we have peeled away another layer of the onion.

Comment

Working...
                    X