GS300 Ignition Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS300 Ignition Problem

After much debug work, I've determined that my 82 GS300L has a bad ignitor. It intermittently cuts out one or both cylinders. The part is no longer available. Suzuki part# is 32900-11910.

Called Dynatek about using their "Dynatek S" system on this bike, they state it won't fit this model. The GS300 has no mechanical advancer, the trigger wheel is keyed directly to the crank, it's all done in the igniter.

What are my options?

Help!

Thanks,
    Brad

Originally posted by eflyer201 View Post
    After much debug work, I've determined that my 82 GS300L has a bad ignitor. It intermittently cuts out one or both cylinders. The part is no longer available. Suzuki part# is 32900-11910.

Called Dynatek about using their "Dynatek S" system on this bike, they state it won't fit this model. The GS300 has no mechanical advancer, the trigger wheel is keyed directly to the crank, it's all done in the igniter.

What are my options?

Help!

Thanks,
    Brad
    Find what other models used this igniter and go ebay surfing! Might take some research, but it's doubtful this ignitor was unique.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by eflyer201 View Post

What are my options?

Help!

Thanks,
      Brad
      Brad,

I dont know much about the 300s (nor 450s), but do know that ignitors are expensive. Even used ones on ebay are 100 to 200.

Did find this
      This Suzuki 32900-11910 NO DESCRIPTION AVAILABLE is also used on these models and components:
      1982 GS300L SIGNAL GENERATOR

1983 GS300L SIGNAL GENERATOR

1985 GS300L SIGNAL GENERATOR

Not to argue with you, but did you check the sparkplug caps?
      They can fail over time (going higher than 5k ohms), and are replaceable and only $4-5 each.
      I just mention that because some folks dont know they fail and dont know they are changable.

Welcome to GSR.

Dave

Last edited by Redman; 08-30-2011, 09:06 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        Brad,

I dont know much about the 300s (nor 450s), but do know that ignitors are expensive. Even used ones on ebay are 100 to 200.

Did find this
        This Suzuki 32900-11910 NO DESCRIPTION AVAILABLE is also used on these models and components:
        1982 GS300L SIGNAL GENERATOR

1983 GS300L SIGNAL GENERATOR

1985 GS300L SIGNAL GENERATOR

Not to argue with you, but did you check the sparkplug caps?
        They can fail over time (going higher than 5k ohms), and are replaceable and only $4-5 each.
        I just mention that because some folks dont know they fail and dont know they are changable.

Welcome to GSR.

Dave

I installed 2 new plug caps last year, it did not help.

I installed two used GS300 coils complete with wires and caps, about a month ago. The plugs were also replaced at this time. The symptoms did not change. It's very intermittent. I've basically re-wired the entire ignition system, starting at the ignitor and working my way to the triggers and coils. I also installed a relay behind the ignitor to switch B+ directly to the orange/white wire when the key is on, and I ran a new ground lead directly from the ignitor to B-. These helped somewhat, at least now it doesn't die completely every day. Definitely there's a link between the voltage supply and how it runs. When it dies it's similar to hitting the kill switch.

BTW, the charging system is all Electrosport, regulator and stator, and they work great! All old OEM charging wires were removed from harness, I found melted wires in there. Did all this 2 years ago, along with a voltage gauge next to the speedometer. Voltage stays at a constant 14v, all lights are good and bright.

I'm an auto technician during the day. One thing I've run across on older Chryslers is intermittent trigger coils. They usually acted up when struck with the plastic handle of a screwdriver. I tried this trick on the GS300 and could not cause it to act up. They measure within spec per my Suzuki manual, hot or cold. I don't see them being the source of the problem.

At this point I really have 3 options:

1. Dynatek S system, if I can find a proper mechanical advancer.

2. Design my own advancer/timing using the stock triggers, and HEI modules.

3. Convert it to points.

The engine is mechanically sound, when it's running right it performs great. The carbs were rebuilt last year. I went one size up on both the main and pilot jets, jetting seems spot-on now. The rest of the bike is mechanically sound too.

Despite it's ignition problems, I really like the bike. It sees daily use on my 23 mile commute to work, plus the obligatory weekend rides, in all kinds of weather. I get a lot of comments such as "never seen one before" and "where'd you get that"?

I really don't want to put any more Suzuki electricals into the ignition.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I appreciate it.

Brad

Comment

Working...
        X