Wiring Harness Inventory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring Harness Inventory

I have been searching these forums (or Ed will scold me ) for ideas on relocating my battery and overhauling my wiring harness as a winter project.

Leave aside the battery debate (Nickel Iron, SLA, etc.), as I am still working through the "smaller battery" puzzle.

For the harness, my current harness works OK, but must have been serviced by Freddy Kreuger as the covering is pretty shredded in several places.

I looked over the "Clean Your Harness" piece on some dude's web site (Hi BassCliff ), but if I am going to have to tear it apart, clean it, adjust it to fit a new battery location, my coil relay, etc., I might like to construct a new harness with fresh wires, connections, etc.

This looks like a good source for wires, allowing me to gather enough colors that I can index the new harness color scheme against the 25 colors in the Suzuki diagram.

I also noticed some posts about upgrading the old connections to newer, weather proof materials. That same dude's web site had a link to an eBay store that sells a full range of new connectors, including package deals with multiple pieces.

Some questions.

First, has anyone assembled a list of the necessary connectors for a harness rebuild? I can put that together from my existing harness, but a shopping list would be easier.

Second, the main fuse is 15 amps, so 18 gauge wire with some heavier wires for high load segments (starter motor, R/R to battery, etc.) will be the order of the day. Has anyone got a list of the wire gauges that tracks the wire diagram? Again, I can suss that out with some homework, but thought I'd ask for a leg up.

Third, the super-sophisticated 1978 wire plan uses one 15 amp fuse. I have another fuse for the coil relay. To rebuild/update a new wire harness, would it be worth it to modernize the layout with a fuse box to tidy up the grid, account for additional relays, maybe offer some better wire routing?

Fourth, when shopping at AutoZone, I noticed some circuit breaker modules in the electrical aisle. Do these have any application in wiring our bikes? It would be nice to use breakers instead of fuses, but I wonder if there are fundamental technical barriers to using them here (since I haven't noticed anyone posting about changing to breakers).

What else should I consider?

You're not alone I'm very interested in this as well - sorry I don't have any thing to add to answer your questions. I am going to relocate my battery to the tail (went with a sealed agm) - I am already envisioning having to go down the custom harness route... I picked up a couple of longer starter cables at Napa - they also had a good selection of wire - but not in the stock colors. I saw a post recently that had a link to a vendor that sold the stock color wires. I'll try to find it.

EFI was the recommendation .... Here it is:

Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2011, 02:50 PM. Reason: Add link

Comment

This is where I get all my loom stuff. I haven't beaten them yet:

79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Smaller battery? Look into the very small (but $$) Lithium Iron batteries. I have a shorai (1.6lbs) for my GS1100EZ. There are several brands of these smaller batteries, too. Not just Shorai.

Vintage Connections would be a source for you as well, but these aren't waterproof. Crimping tools, connection blocks, etc.
        Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Hi,

I've seen a few cafe bikes with smaller AGM batteries located under the seat or in the tail section. If your bike is well-tuned and starts instantly, you can get away with a smaller battery. Use an AGM battery so that you can put it on its side in small places.

As for building your own harness, it will be somewhat tedious. But you have a pattern there (using the old harness), and a wiring diagram. So it should be fairly straight forward.

If you're planning to "modernize" your fuse box, you will have to figure out a way to separate the main fuse circuit from the others. On later bikes there are three other circuits with their own individual fuses - ignition circuit, the lights circuit (head light, tail light, gauge lights), and the signals circuit (turn signals, horn, brake light).

I've never heard of using circuit breakers instead of fuses. But then, there's a lot I haven't heard. Upgrading to the blade type fuses is the standard procedure.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2011, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X