Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading a 76 GS750 rec/regulator design.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading a 76 GS750 rec/regulator design.

I am working on a buddy's 75 or 76 GS750. I noticed it is using an old school setup where only one leg of the stator is regulated and the lights draw AC power right off the stator. I attached a daigram below. Has anyone switched a system like this over to a more modern setup? I would like to push all three phases go into a modern rectifier/regulator then run the whole bike off regulated DC. I know how to wire it up, but i'm wondering if anyone has tried this and ran into any load problems on the stator. Thanks.

As long as the bike is ridden with the headlight on all the time to absorb the excess current, wiring all three phases direct to the R/R won't be an issue.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by 79xs View Post
      I am working on a buddy's 75 or 76 GS750. I noticed it is using an old school setup where only one leg of the stator is regulated and the lights draw AC power right off the stator.
      Just for info, the lights do not run off AC power, but off the battery. The switch in the light switch is a separate one that only connects that AC phase to the regulator when the lights are on, sort of crudely reducing the alternator output by a third when the lights are off. Using a later Rectifier/Regulator with regulation on all three phases and bypassing that wire to and from the switch is all you need to do.

Comment

Hi,

Like so...

Note that the above shows a 6-wire r/r unit. The 6th wire, or "sense" wire, is connected to a switched 12v source. In this case it's connected to the tail light at brake light switch.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Yours has the separate reg and rectifier.. Just rewire it as shown with a comparable combo reg/rect

Comment

Working...
          X