Nothing when I push start! -HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing when I push start! -HELP!

Hi guys. Im new to the forum so excuse me if i posted in the wrong section..

Anyways, I got a GS1000L for 120$ a couple of weeks ago and it was starting perfectly. I took the flashers, fenders seat and all off and i cut the frame to make it a bobber.

When I came to start it... nothing! I turn the key and all the lights in the dash light up, including head light with high and low beam. But when i push the start button nothing happens. No buzz, click or tick.

I was hopping you guys could help me

I think your bike is rebelling against you in your attempts to make it a bobber You might've broken a ground path to your starter or opened the clutch safety switch wiring usually located in the headlight.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Could be…

Could be a bad connect at the fuse box-Ignition.
      Got your multimeter?
      Modding a bike is a lot more than unbolting and hacksawing.

Bill
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. JoMagnum,

Congratulations. You have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs 20 years worth of maintenance. If you do all of the required maintenance up front, and do it properly, you and your bike will be insanely happy. Let's roll up our sleeves and get started...

Yep, sounds like you pulled a ground or damaged some other connection. Keep looking, I'm sure you'll find it.

Anyway, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

And make sure you didn't inadvertantly flip the kill swith to off...
          Current Bikes:
          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Start with grounds!

Jo-

I had this same exact problem with my bike the other day! Start by tracing all your grounds from the battery. One is the negative ground to the engine, and two more in the battery box area. Get you mm out and see if your fuse box is grounded properly. If all turns out well, it's time to check your starter solenoid next to your battery. You will have two bigger posts on it. One post has a red pigtail leading to the positive post of the battery, and the other larger gauge black wire leads to the starter. If the 1100L is similar to my 650L, the solenoid also has a yellow/green wire soldered to the face of the solenoid. That wire leads to the starter circuit. Get an insulated screwdriver, and cross the big terminals of the solenoid (sparks will fly). If you get the bike to turn over, you have centralized the problem a little bit.

The starting circuit is very simple. It goes from the solenoid to the ignition switch, to the kill switch, to the starter button. Check the contacts on your starter switch to look for corrosion. If all looks well, check the solenoid to see if it's bad. Cross the yellow/green wire with the black/white wire (if you have it), and you should hear the relay click. If not, replace the solenoid from one from Lowes or Sears for under $15. They are Tractor solenoids that work perfect!

All of the info I supplied was compiled from my post of fellow members suggestions.

Hope this helps you out sir!

Comment

track down that pesky yellow with a green stripe wire. It may have come apart with all the renovation.

Comment

Is it possible that the clutch switch is keeping my bike from starting? I had 2 wires hanging from my clutch lever. One green with yellow stripe and one yellow with black tripe I think. They were tapped together when I got it and I took it off. Maybe this is the problem?

Thanks for responding, everybody!

Comment

starter

That would be the place to start. Bob

Comment

Hi,

Yes, my bike has a clutch switch too. The bike won't start unless I pull in the clutch. It can be defeated by shorting the wires together. Many have done this in the headlight bucket. I don't mind the stock configuration. I've kept the switch active.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

hey, sorry for the slow reply.. anyway,
                      Turns out the solenoid trick worked like a charm
                      thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X