Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shorted the battery now it wont turn over

Hi everyone.
    i shorted the battery today while i was installing a cut off valve today.
    I got everything put back together and I turned on the ignition and the panel lights and headlight etc work. I hit the start button and I get nothing.
    What should I look for?
    thanks

Is your clutch safety switch still connected?

Might have to pull the clutch to enable the starter.

Hopefully the "cut-off valve" is a temporary thing.
    It is so much better and easier with a properly-working petcock.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Nope it was disconnected.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-02-2011, 10:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

oh its a 79 GS850
        I paid to have the petcock repaired but they installed an in-line filter instead.

Comment

Make sure it is neutral, or better yet, neutral on the center stand, jump the the starter solenoidn if it cranks, move upstream to the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by joe_cader View Post
            I paid to have the petcock repaired but they installed an in-line filter instead.
            Sorry, but that is yet another example why you should do it yourself.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by joe_cader View Post
              oh its a 79 GS850
              I hope you got your money back.
              Current Bikes:
              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. joe_cader,

I'm guessing you've already checked the fuses. If yours are the glass kind, make sure they are good by using a multimeter. Sometimes they can fail but still look good.

Petcock repair kits are iffy at best. It seems they go about 50/50 in all of the petcock repair threads I've read.

You've got a 30 year old motorcycle that probably needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. If you do all of the required maintenance properly, you and your bike will be insanely happy. Roll up your sleeves and let's get started...

Anyway, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

thanks to all.... I got her going with the help of my son. He multiMetered on it and found the cause.

Comment

Inquiring minds want, nay need to know!

Comment

it was the yellow/with the green stripe wire.
                      In my re-assemblage of the bike. I inadvertantly pulled that wire loose.

Comment

Working...
                      X