Signal and gauge rewire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, guys, here ya go.

Find the blue wire that goes from the original gauge cluster down to the selector switch near the left footpeg. There will be a couple of connectors in the line, if you can take one of them apart, it will make it easier to install the relay AND will be reversible, if ever needed/desired. Connect the blue wires as shown in the diagram below, it does not really matter which one goes to #85 or #86. Find a wire that is switched with the ignition key. You could also use a wire that is "hot" all the time, but you at least want to have it fused. A 1-amp fuse would be overkill, anything larger would be ridiculous. Connect the "hot" wire to #30. Run a wire from #87 to the neutral input wire on your new gauge panel.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Because I'm ignorant, what is that relay called so that I can grab one at radioshack or advanceauto tomorrow.

Comment

Click HERE to see the part with part number on the Advance site.

You will likely find it in the auxiliary lighting section.

You might also find similar relays wearing the Pilot or Blazer brand names. No problem, they will work, too.

This is the same basic relay that can be used for many things, including the infamous "coil relay mod", horns, lights, whatever.

Last edited by Steve; 03-08-2013, 12:39 AM.
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i had a volvo and a saab back in the day that both loved to eat relays. these are what I thought of, would not have thought of using it this way. i haven't had any issues electrically. First thing i did was install the rr from electrosport and replaced every 30yr old bullet connectors with water resistant blade connectors a year ago. Time consuming, but worth it. Never had to do any of the horn relays or anything cuz everything has run awesomely. Also put in the electrosport stator about 6 months ago and my lights are super bright. I'm hoping this round of improvements could get even the gnarliest "L" hater to say it's an o.k. suzuki.

Comment

I just got this sucker wired up, i have the ground from the neutral light (Green and Black) going to the Blue wire for the neutral which goes into 85, 86 is the blue wire for the switch. 87 goes to the hot wire for the neutral(green) and 30 I piggy backed the Orange and Green hot wire headed into the indicator control. No worky, I switched around the hot and ground to the neutral light and still No worky You guys got any ideas. I tried turning the blinkers on to see if patching into their hot would have done something silly but the neutral light didn't blink either.

Comment

anybody got ideas?

Comment

Working...
              X