Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery

Battery died for the 2nd time while riding this week. Legs are getting stronger from pushing this damn thing. Battery is 3 months old and showing 13 when charged. so R/R right?

Or stator. Run the tests in the Stator Papers here: http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfault.htm

Comment

If the stator is bad, i'd just buy a new R/R as well.....
      They seem to die out or give problems as a Team, lol.

Because if you install a new stator and Still have charging problems, you either have a bad R/R or dirty connections....And I know that if you're running with a bad R/R, it can easily damage your New Stator!

Comment

Originally posted by JStones View Post
        Battery is 3 months old and showing 13 when charged. so R/R right?
        You mean after being charged with battery charger- what about after a ride? Do the stator tests and pinpoint the problem.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I had a similar problem. Battery was only charging at 13v. After cleaning all the connections and the fuse box, the battery is now charging at 14.2v. The dirty connections can cause a volt drop across them.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. I will follow the stator papers. Pretty easy or a pain?

Comment

I'd steer clear of the electrosport stuff.

Comment

As you will read over and over, the GS charging systems are weak and are not helped when the connectors and contacts are not clean. Lack of good grounds, especially from the R/R are also another noted issue.

I'd start by thoroughly cleaning the contacts and connectors at the R/R and those into and out of the fuse block. Make sure the frame and engine grounds are good too and add an additional lead from the ground on the R/R (white/black) to the negative post on the battery.

Often that will solve the problem but if not you may need to follow the easy to understand Stator Papers fault finding flow chart.

Suzuki R/Rs are notoriously poor in comparison to others and you might have to change out the stocker for something in a Shindengen (Used on Hondas and Kawis). Mr. Matchless has created a vast list of suitable swappers so refer to that. On the last 3 Zuks I've owned I had to change each R/R and when you do you will notice the heat sinks on the Shinds are twice the size of those on the stockers. This is likely why the stockers fail....overheating.

Once you get it charging properly, I always advise adding a voltmeter to the bike so you can keep an eye on things as you ride along. No more surprises.

Good luck and keep us informed of how you make out.

Cheers,
                spyug

Comment

Any literature out there on adding a voltmeter?

Comment

Originally posted by JStones View Post
                    Battery died for the 2nd time while riding this week. Legs are getting stronger from pushing this damn thing. Battery is 3 months old and showing 13 when charged. so R/R right?

NO- not exactly M/C batteries are so fragile an delicate you might have overcharged and warped the inner plates. messing up the batery with a overly powerful charger makes a weird one to diagnose because all the static tests will show a good battery.

OR

I have seen headlights wrongly wired to run both hi and low beam at the same time and kill the batt. in 15 miles after fully charging it in the garage. This too is a weird one because all the tests will be borderlinie good/acceptable.

and so you must do a D.C AMPERAGE and VOLTAGE check on your bike systems when running---- You must do a load test on the battery--- The A.C. stator unloaded volt test is only necessary if your D.C. tests are showing fault.
                    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
                    X