Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring in Kill switch for 'Kickstand Down + In Gear"

Hey guys,
    I've rewired my entire bike from scratch. Works well.
    Upon revewing the Australian design rules, There isa requirement to have a feature where

if (kickstand = Down) then

check if (bike is in gear) then
    Unable to start *kill activated*)

else if (bike is in neutral) then
    Start bike

else if (kickstand = Up) then
    Start bike

But im having some trouble trying to work out the best way to do this.
    I have a kickstand switch. I also have a gear position switch....just trying to get my head around wiring it into the kill switch relay.
    Any help appreciated.

It will take a bit of an electronic 'logic' circuit, but first ask yourself:

do those rules apply to bikes that were made before the rules were made?

By the way, both of the circuits you mention, neutral and kickstand, are always 'hot' and switch the ground to activate them, so the logic will be just a bit different.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks!
      The kickstand switch isn't a hot switch....Its just a switch. Either open or closed.
      To pass the Australian design rules, I could probably just wire in the kill switch to the kick stand switch, so the bike cannot be started with the stand down. Then i could always disconnect it later once the bike is registered...

That would probably be easier...hmm
      I would love to have it how my R6 works now, but after alot of research it seems as though its probably out of my depth.

Comment

Again, I will ask ... do those rules apply to 1983 model bikes?

In the stock configuration, when the bike left the factory, the kick stand switch only turned on a light. That's all the rules should require.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah The Australian design rules state that if there is a kickstand, it must have an Audible and Visible warning when down or prevent the bike from riding. I think how they got around it, was the GS has a centre stand which passes the Australian design rules...

I may have to get more info. If a visible warning is all that is required, then I will just use the light and leave the rest..

Comment

Mate those rules are for new bikes! They definitely don't apply to our '80's bikes, so don't stress about it.

There was nothing like that stock on these and they were legal off the showroom floor, and I believe it's only the US models that are cursed with the clutch and sidestand switches.
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Working...
              X