Extra black wire after I fooled w/ solenoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extra black wire after I fooled w/ solenoid

1982 GS750TZ, 11,750 miles. Wouldn't start today. I get a click out of the solenoid when i hit the start button. Took the solenoid off to clean. But putting it back on, I have a black wire that i do not know where it goes. And i cannot find a wire diagram. AND I took a picture of it all and cannot seem to post it on this thread. So I wonder if it a ground and where it goes. BTW - if I try to jump the solenoid, it does not spark. Maybe because the ground isn't connected? Thanks - RD

You jumped the two big terminals? They're both positive. If you touch a screw driver to both of them, the engine should turn over. if not, it's most likely a dead battery, and that clicking you're hearing is the solenoid working, but not turning the starter.

This can all be checked with a multi meter btw. You can check if that's a ground, check the voltage, check to see if the solenoid is working, etc. Get one.

Comment

Yes it is most likely your ground. I know disconnecting the ground near the solenoid on my bike will keep it from turning over, I forgot to reconnect it once when I replaced my solenoid.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I do have a MM

The battery read 12.2 yesterday when the battery wouldn"t turn over. But I am still not sure where the black wire - the ground goes.

Comment

I'm not sure on your bike, but I believe mine was mounted under one of the bolts that mounted the solenoid to the plate.
          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Thanks

I believe that is where mine came from, too. What shouldd my battery be reading? Is 12.2 ok?

Comment

It should be more like 12.8 if it is a standard battery. I believe the AGM's are like 13.2.

Comment

It's a bit low but going through the stator pages hardly takes any time. Touch that ground to the frame, see if it'll turn over.

Comment

If your solenoid is clacking and you are jumping it without the starter turning I'd check the starter.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Check out all the good stuff that BassCliff has put together, it should help you out (including how to post photos). Here's the link:http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Comment

Thanks A million
                      Rob

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. robdsuzuki,

There should be a wiring diagram on my little website for your bike.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Well, I replaced my solenoid, the battery reads 13.1v on my mm. When I hit the start button, the solenoid clacks. But the motor does not turn over. I wonder if I have it grounded properly. I connected the ground to the base of the solenoid - where it touches the frame. I think the next step is to clean all connections again. I have only had the bike 2 months, so I am still learning about it. However, when I touch the 2 large posts of the solenoid with a screw driver, it does not spark. So it must not be grounded is all I can think. Am I correct? Thanks - rd

Comment

Doesn't matter if it's grounded when you're touching the two posts together. Those two big posts are both positive. One should go directly to the battery, and the other directly to the the starter. It's pretty hard to have a bad ground between the starter and engine, unless the ground cable from the battery to frame is bad. So If it's not sparking and turning the engine over when the two posts are jumped, either your starter is bad or the wiring from the battery to starter is interrupted somewhere.

Use your mm to check voltage at the relay, one post should say 13.1v, this is the post that should lead directly to the battery. If neither post reads 13.1v, your problem is between the solenoid and battery.

Now check for continuity between the starter positive terminal and the other post on the solenoid. If there isn't continuity, your problem is between the starter and solenoid.

If both these tests work, I'd be a little surprised, since you say there's no spark, should be a small one when connecting that much voltage and amperage. But if they do, than your starter is bad.

I'm guessing, since there's no spark, the wire leading from the battery to the solenoid is bad. You can also test this by unbolting the starter side and touching it directly to the battery positive terminal.

Comment

Thanks curly. I'll check it tonight. Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X