I've got a short somewhere...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrunkenChekhov View Post
    Well, I have yet to find a wire that has rubbed through its insulation, and I'll be looking more indepth into the turn signals and horn tomorrow. There is one thing I forgot to add though, I put a 20 amp fuse in to see if that would make any difference, but it just blew a different fuse. Does that mean the problem could be with my fuse box?

Electrical really isn't my thing...
    Bigger fuse is the path to worst problems- do not be tempted again. You put in 20 amp fuse in which spot and it blew a "different fuse" -????
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The bigger fuse just carried your problem further down the line to the next weakest point. That's an exercise in futility. Trace the circuit and start eliminating all possible problems. start disconnecting components in the circuit per your wiring diagram and see if that clears the short. That will lead you to the problem area. If components are disconnected, and you should be reading an opened circuit, but there is still a short, then a hot wire is grounded, but it will tell you where in the wiring harness to start looking. Corrosion in switches can cause intermittent shorts. There are plugs on the bike that will disconnect large sections of the wiring harness. The wiring diagram shows plugs, connectors, where all the wires go to and all components. They are all color coded. A little time and patience and this shouldn't be hard for you at all. In the end you might start understanding a lot more about your electrical system.
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I'm glad my short was much more obvious, my new battery completely burnt two ground wires in a puff of smoke and insulation. I still had to unravel all the wires under my seat to trace them to the proper place. Also when I was in there (1980 GS450) I found several wires with the insulation rubbed away that I patched up with electrical tape. My advice would be to study the wiring diagram and figure what colored wires belong to each system. Then once you untangle the wires, you'll know where to focus your attention.

Comment

Working...
        X