Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$89 Ebay stator install and review

Bought this guy to replace my dead OEM unit:

for $89 shipped. Couldn't find a review of these cheaper units, so I figured I'd do that.

Here's the new one out of the box. It was wrapped in bubble wrap, and shoved in a little box. Then packaged in a larger box with inches of Styrofoam beans all around, plenty safe. Arrived in a week too.

Had no idea I was going to be removing so much crap. Unwrapped half the harness before I remembered about the other junction under the rubber boot by the tank, oh well. Along with that, the seat, tank, pods, carbs, exhaust, starter cover, half a million zipties and obviously the stator cover had to come off. Here it is after about 2 hours:

Why I'm replacing it. One of the wires was melted apart, no idea if that circuit was still good, but I didn't want to go through this whole process to fix it and have it still not charge.

Close up of the old unit

Only thing I changed was it came with two zipties. One to hold the wrap on to the end of the wires, and another to hold the bundle of wires against the unit. I cut them both off and reused the stock clip, which screws into the stator body.

Buttoned up

rewrapped

Dead stator anyone?

Ready for exhaust, oil, filter (that's why the exhaust is off), and new stator tests. I'm also tackling the transmission input seal and clutch rod seal. I'm all about no leaks.

I'll report back within a week with multimeter results.

Bike looks really nice.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      Bike looks really nice.
      Thanks very much. Pretty mess right now, matte paint is hard to keep clean when you're working with changing the oil and such.

Oil filter, tranny input shaft seal, clutch shaft seal, and oil have all been replaced. Started up great, definitely working better with the new stator, it's the first time in a while I've seen the headlight brighten up when I barely touch the throttle. I should mention I have no idea when that wire shorted out.

Tests seems good, 13.5v at 2500rpm, 14.0v at 5000rpm. Could be a little higher, I didn't want to spend too much time getting exactly 5000rpm, it's 8:00 and I have a Yoshi race exhaust.

Lesson learned: $90 Ebay stator works initially.

I'll report back in a few weeks about when I put it away for the winter, tell everyone if it's still working.

Only thing I'm worried about is the three yellow stator wires were getting a little hot fairly quickly, I may solder them on, they're only crappy crimp on spade connectors right now.

Comment

Those dual headlights look cool. Nice job!

Oh, and it might be too late but it's best to wire the stator direct to the R/R and bypass any factory wiring involved. Also make sure your R/R is well grounded.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yeah, I'll probably do an extra ground strap and bypass the rear set of connections by soldering them together.

Comment

Hi,

That's a pretty good looking stator. It's got a braided sleeve and a rubber grommet. You don't get those on a lot of aftermarket stators. Yes, I'd be interested in hearing how long it lasts. Be sure to clean all of your electrical connections and grounds to give it a better chance at a long life.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
            X