electro magnetic pulse??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electro magnetic pulse??

got my 83 gs 1100 started. and noticed my multimeters readings are all over the place. thought my meter was bad. but i noticed when the bike is off its ok. so i strarted it again and moved the meter away from the bike and the meter gets normal, move it closer and it goes crazy. wtf! any clues?
    also, my stator gets too hot to touch for very long. Is that normal? I think probably not.
    and last prob.,all the check lights stay on. anyone have any ideas let me know. i was getting an a/c reading best i could tell, from the stator of 40-50 volts at only 3000 rpm. didnt want to go higher and **** off the neighbors.

I would redo the stator connections and make sure the reg has a good ground !!!

Comment

the rr is grounded directly to the battery. im going to wire the stator and rr directly to one another too.

Comment

Clean up your connections while your digging around in there. Check for shorts and frays and what not. Once you do that, then you'll have a good base to work from. Rewiring and replacing stuff that has bad wiring is kind of pointless.

Comment

Thank you. I needed to smile this evening and you enabled it.
          Unless you are sitting on an atomic explosion I would rule out an EMP. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse
          EMF, sure. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_field

Comment

my hair is falling out in clumps. but i really didnt mean emp literally. what about temp of rr. can anyone confirm that the3 hot to the touch rr is not normal. sorry but this is a complete resto im doing and i have no baseline to compare it to. if im getting alot of resistance in the rr, that my be generating some kind of interference.
            at any rate, i see a new rr in my future possibly.

Comment

They do heat up, which is why they have cooling fins. However, the issue you reported is most likely a wiring or a ground issue. You absolutely MUST go through the entire wiring harness, check all grounds, etc. Once the multimeter stabilizes you can begin to troubleshoot other issues, such as output voltages, both AC and DC.

Comment

yeah that harness and the whole bike were exposed to the elements, ill get on it.
                but on the rr, too hot to touch after3-5 seconds of contact? hopefully its ok.

Comment

Difficult to say. Heat means it is getting juice. Where is it going and why it is getting so hot will be virtually impossible to tell until the harness is repaired/refurbished.
                  As a lark, I actually put a PC fan on my R/R. I am certain it will cool the R/R. How much, IDK. But it cools CPUs, so a R/R would be child's play in comparison:http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=178582

Comment

Guess ill worry about it when I smell wires cooking. I would like to get a temp reading out of curiousity. I read you fan thread. Very industrious. But I think I like the idea of moving the rr to the down tubes like most newer bikes have them.

Comment

Is it possible that the multimeter is reacting to unsuppressed spark plug wires? (is it a digital meter?)
                      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

that is something ill look into. it has accel coils and wires but i got it with them. Ill also change the plugs and try another multi meter (it is digital)

Comment

My stock unit was getting that hot, but I replaced it. I didn't go thru the entire stator papers, but I did have to replace the stator coil when I got the bike as it wasn't charging. On inspection seemed like there may have been a couple legs that might have shorted due to the wires getting too hot on the windings. When I was replaced the stock RR it was hot. I don't remember if the new one was hot too, but I know my old one, you wouldn't have wanted to hold onto it too long. I would say you're prolly ok, but check your voltages.

Comment

If you have Accel wires they are suppression wires, which means the EMF are suppressed (so your radio won't pick up any interference ) so I would rule them out.
                            My GPz R/R is between the downtubes and the stator is perfect. And the output voltage is excellent on the OEM voltmeter. But it is a different R/R, and the stator is not oil cooled.
                            Again, you need to dig into your harness asap unless you plan on replacing both the stator and the R/R. If you choose that route, I strongly suggest you go ahead and pick them up now so you can replace them when you get stranded on the side of the road. I'm just sayin'.

Comment

Working...
                            X