Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging Question about wire connections

Hi,

This is my first post but I wanted to say that I have used this site a lot the past couple months and I really appreciate everyone's posts and help. This is my first experience working on a motorcycle so I apologize if I don't fully understand or ask basic questions. And sorry if this was covered in another thread, I try to avoid asking a question I can track down.

I am working on my brothers 81 GS250 and I decided to tackle the charging system. He has had to charge the battery every week or so since he bought the bike. From what I read the connections are generally the most common problem so I figured I would cut off the old bullet connections and re-connect the wires with solder and shrink tubing with the thinking that it should be done even if the charging system was functioning correctly (I did this on probably ten connections before I ran out of time). Everything seemed to function correctly after I finished but while riding the bike today the engine died, apparently from lack of power. The battery was completely dead and the bike would not run more than a couple seconds when the clutch was popped to get it started. I ended up switching his battery with mine so he could drive the bike home. He had never had this issue before, only the issue with the battery slowly draining.

So I have a couple of questions: Could I have made a mistake such as using the wrong type of solder or something else that I am not aware of? All I did was cut the wires, strip them, twist and solder them with shrink tubing for protection. I figure I could have knocked another connection loose and probably lots of other things as well to cause a new problem, but I wanted to make sure my newly soldered connections, at least in theory, would not cause a new problem.

What would you recommend I take as the next step in fixing the problem? Should I start into the stator papers tests, re-do the soldered connections differently, or something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Derrick
    Last edited by Guest; 09-10-2011, 04:32 PM.

Derrick,

We can't tell you if you hooked something up wrong. What I can tell you is you should go though the Stator Papers, and also rewire the charging system (per conventional forum wisdom). Most reliable set up is for the stator wires to go straight into the R/R, run a dedicated (split) ground from the R/R to a good frame hard point and the battery both, and run the Positive out of the R/R either into the fuse box or to the battery direct with a remote fuse holder added. You will need a wiring diagram to trace those R/R wires but none of this is difficult work.

Hope this helps and good luck
    Last edited by Nessism; 09-10-2011, 05:44 PM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Welcome to the forums Derrick..

The only thing I'd add to Ed's post is to not permanently solder any components to the main harness.

I'd still use a plug of some sort, otherwise when it comes to certain maintenance or troubleshooting tasks (like the stator test), you will have to undo a lot of work to be able to test things.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

A connection made with a proper crimping tool and the right kind of connector is better than a solder joint. The problem is that most people don't have the proper tools or connectors. A nice shiny solder joint is ok, but one that turns dull may not be (cold solder joint). For most practical purposes, if you are careful with your soldering and don't get any cold solder joints (caused by letting the wire move) it is certainly ok, but inconvenient for maintenance and testing.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

To further explain, you want a double crimper. They work great. I use shielded spade connectors on mine. I put the female connector on the wire supplying power, and the male connector on the wire needing power. This prevents any accidental shorting of the wire should they be disconnected while the wires are live.
          I also use shrink tubing on the wire/crimped part of the connector for strain relief.

Comment

Welcome. Its not likely that your wiring cleanup has caused the problem but more likely that the stator is not outputting enough and or the regulator/rectifier is not doing its job. To figure this out you need to use the flow chart in the Stator Papers as Ed and the boys have mentioned.

There is no way for us to diagnose any further sorry so read and apply the tests and you will soon have it sorted.

Good luck and keep us informed of whta you find.

cheers,
            Spyug

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. philo,

Cleaning connections and grounds is a good thing, especially the connections in the charging system. You're going to have to do the Stator Paper tests to find out what component(s) has (have) failed. You'll also find lots of supplemental guides and information on my little website regarding stator testing, over-all charging system health, etc. Check the guides on the main page and the information in the Electrical Odds and Ends section.

Now let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Welcome to your new love/hate relationship with your bike. I will say from my recent experience with my first GS that even though all the "do this first" tasks are tedious and not much fun, you will wind up doing it all in the end to ensure that some simple ground or bullet connector ISN'T the problem. Plus, you will have invaluable intimate knowledge of your steed, and every other problem will be easier to tackle. I'm almost through all of my gremlins, but at least I can ride it when I want with confidence. I'm past the hate stage and enjoying the love stage. For now.

Comment

Thank you for the welcome and for all of the replies. I am going to go through the stator papers today. I will let you know what I find. And thank you for all of the links and information to read. I plan to go through everything on the lists of recommendations once the parts come in (carb o-rings, clutch springs, spark plugs, etc.). I will probably have a lot of questions as I go since this is new to me but I really appreciate all the help.

Derrick

Comment

Hi philo,
                    I had a charging problem on my gs 1000. I solved it by taking off the fuse box and cleaning it. Then replacing all the bullet connectors associated with the charging system. The charging voltage was 13v. It is now 14.2v. I also ran the ground from the R/R straight to the battery. This fixed it for me. Also follow all the steps on the stator papers to ensure the stator and R/R are ok. Hope this helps. The info on Bikecliff/Basscliffs website is invaluable. Good luck

Comment

I ran the RR+ straight to the pos battery terminal with an inline fuse and ran a separate ground from RR- to the neg battery terminal and to the frame. After I ran phase A of the stator tests and received the following results:

Battery at Idle: 12.35 V
                      Battery at 2500: 12.75 V
                      Battery at 5000: 13.05 V (slowly increasing over maybe 30 seconds)
                      RR+ at 5000 RPM: .15 - .2 V
                      RR- at 5000 RPM: .001 V (roughly -.1 V at idle)

Looks like I need to start phase B and test the stator. I will post again after I finish. Thanks again for all the help.

Derrick
                      Last edited by Guest; 09-11-2011, 08:50 PM.

Comment

I finished the phase B stator tests. The ohms between stator connections jumped around almost constantly but were never between .5 and 2 and instead were much higher, sometimes even above 100. I did not get any readings when I tried to connect the stator wires to the engine casing. For the AC reading all three were around 68 V. Does this mean my stator is bad?
                        Last edited by Guest; 09-11-2011, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Hmmm probably someone else to confirm, but that looks more like an R/R issue than a stator issue.

68v AC at 5000 RPM's is not too bad, supposed to be over 70 but 68 is pretty close. Whether it's low enough to require replacing or not I'm not sure on.

As for the resistance reading on the stator, I would expect with an output like that you should be getting reasonable resistance figures from the stator.

Did you have all three stator connections disconnected when measuring the resistance?

sigpic

Comment

Hi,

Yes I had all 3 stator wires disconnected. I have not used my multimeter in probable a couple years so maybe it is having an issue. I still have not wires my stator directly to my R/R so I will do that this weekend and test the R/R as well. Thanks for the reply.

Derrick

Comment

Ok cool, could be the meter, I know if they get flat batteries they can tend to go haywire.

Good luck and let us know how you go!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X