start button not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

start button not working

On my 83 katana 650 the start button does not work. When i first got the bike the start button did not work it would only start by shorting the solenoid. I put a new solenoid on and the start button worked. Then it stopped working again but i could short the solenoid and it would run. Changed the solenoid again but the start button still won,t work. Have power on on side of the start switch when i push the start button the other side of the switch has power. The clutch switch is plugged in don't know where to look now any ideas.

Originally posted by chris6888 View Post
    On my 83 katana 650 the start button does not work. When i first got the bike the start button did not work it would only start by shorting the solenoid. I put a new solenoid on and the start button worked. Then it stopped working again but i could short the solenoid and it would run. Changed the solenoid again but the start button still won,t work. Have power on on side of the start switch when i push the start button the other side of the switch has power. The clutch switch is plugged in don't know where to look now any ideas.
    Sounds like you might need to open up the right side switch housing and clean the corrosion off of the contacts under the button, worked for me
    1980 GS1000E

Comment

Run another ground wire from the battery to one of your solenoid mounting bolts. It may need it to work properly.

Comment

Do you have power to green/white wire to solenoid Trigger terminal when you press starter button? If yes, then it's a grounding problem at solenoid. Take care to ensure you're in neutral and/or centerstand when you fiddle with solenoid.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

No there is no power at the green white wire at the solenoid when i push the start button. Just wondering if the new solenoid might be bad. I have power at both sides of the switch.

Comment

No there is no power at the green white wire at the solenoid when i push the start button. Just wondering if the new solenoid might be bad. I have power at both sides of the switch.
            So the power is NOT getting down thru clutch safety switch or it's lost in harness somewhere. You can use jumper wire from positive battery terminal to the green/white wire terminal on solenoid to check if it works- BUT Please ensure you're on centerstand and in neutral first.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Tried the direct power to the green white wire and still did not work but it will start if i cross the solenoid.

Comment

Have you made sure the solenoid housing is well grounded?
                If so, sounds like you have a dead solenoid

Comment

Sounds like you have some electrical issues to sort. I would start by cleaning ALL the grounds and all the connectors in the harness. If you are getting power on both sides of the starter button but not to the trigger by the solenoid there may be a problem in the harness between the button and the solenoid. Have you tried bypassing the clutch safety switch to rule it out?

Comment

Is there any way to test the solenoid with a mulitmeter to see if it works.

Comment

Tried the direct power to the green white wire and still did not work but it will start if i cross the solenoid.
                      Just what do you mean by "cross the solenoid" ? jumping the big wires? Also, so you applied power to stud on solenoid (where green/white wire connects) and nothing?
                      1981 gs650L

Comment

Yes by jumping the big wires to start it.And when i put power to the green white stud nothing happens.

Comment

Yes by jumping the big wires to start it.And when i put power to the green white stud nothing happens.
                          Very strange... these solenoids that you have (Lowes ?), they are for 12 volt system ,right?
                          1981 gs650L

Comment

I got it to work had to take the front brake switch apart and put it back together one of the screws were broken fixed the broken screw and put it back together and it works.

Comment

Working...
                            X