how does the wiring connect on a 1977 gs550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how does the wiring connect on a 1977 gs550

I picked up a 1977 gs550 just 3 days ago. When I got it the rectifier, and stator wires were not connected. Dont know why. Also one wire from the voltage regulator ( the yellow wire) as not connected. Can someone help me in the right direction and direct me which wires go to which.

the stator has 3 wires.
    -white with red stripe
    -yellow
    -white with blue stripe

the rectifier has 5 wires.
    -white with blue stripe
    -red
    -black with white stripe
    -red with white stripe
    -yellow

and the main harness with wires not connected are
    -light blue
    -white with red stripe
    -orange
    -yellow with green stripe

lastly the voltage regulator has one loose wire hanging oout and dont know where it belongs. its the yellow wire. Where would this go.

Thanks bros.

Go to the resources main page and check out the stator papers.

Go to the trouble shooting page. It says this:
    On the GS models, Suzuki used different colours for the three output-wires of the stator. They are the only manufacturer doing this.The only conscious reason for this would be a desire to cause confusion, because the output of all the three wires is the same. The colours on the wires from the stator are : Yellow, White/blue and White/green. On the RR we're talking : Yellow, White/blue and White/red. JUST THINK THEM ALL BEING YELLOW, and then go on with the checks below.

Black with White is ground. Yellow-yellow, White/blue, to white blue, The funky one is white/red to White/green. Red goes to red direct to the battery via fused link.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-11-2011, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Also search on BassCliffs link ad you can get a wiring diagram that shows the main harness connections.

Comment

Hi,

Start here>>> READ THIS.

Then see the Electrical Odds and Ends section of my website as well as the articles on stator replacement and testing, r/r replacement, etc.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X