Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will points ignition work without condensers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't help you find your condensors/caps.

However, if you set your points using a VOM set for ohms to watch for when the points break and connect then you have to remove the wires on the points. I remember this for sure from back when my bike had points.

Chris

Comment

Ok, thats reassuring. My VOM has dedicated continuity tester, but anything under 50 ohms beeps.

Again, as for the condensers- I am 99% sure that there arent any. My only doubt is 'cause the popular opinion is that the bike would run like crap without.

really the only problem is that the choke is flooding and killing the engine. the carb fuel screws are set to "highest idle" but if I turn them way in (less fuel) the choke kinda works- though the rpms drop and it idles rough. - Carb issues and not electrical perhaps?
      Last edited by Guest; 09-14-2011, 11:16 AM.

Comment

I think it will run like crap.... eventually. In the short term if the points are in reasonably good shape I would think it will run ok without condensors until it trashes the points.....

The condensors are only there to protect the points....
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
        X