GS 450T no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 450T no spark

okay drove my 82 gs450t about 3 miles to my inlaws. drove there great no problems pulled into the drive way shut it off went inside for maybe 20 min came out to start nothing pulled both plugs and no spark. any suggestions? the bike only has 5700 miles on it. has a tr ignitor on it dont know if you can test those or if there was a way i could. you wouldnt think think BOTH coils went out at the same time??? i used the kill switch to shut it of like i do everytime. pulled the tank off and see if any wires from the coils broke or rubbed threw, didnt see anything. just need help dont know where to go from here and need help thanks guys

Maybe your in-laws wanted you to stay! I'd suspect your kill switch before all else.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

funny that you say that... we checked two or three things and had it all apart and i said to him... ya know its funny that it made it all the way here and it ran fine i hit the kill switch and came out and nothing we took that apart cleaned some webs off and we suddenly started getting spark... cool but here is my question... the kill switch set to off and the engie doesnt crank but when its on the engine cranks and you get spark... today the more was still cranking but no spark so is it the kill switch?

Comment

If it will crank with the kill switch on, I would think it's ok, otherwise you should get nothing with it is off, and crank when it is on. I had a similar problem with my 450 and it turned to be the connections between the signal generator and the ignitior, changed all the connections and it fired right up. Before that would crank but no spark. Replacing or at least cleaning all connections is a great idea. terrylee

Comment

Maybe by-pass the kill switch by tracing the wires back and connecting the 2 wires together that travel up to the kill switch. If it starts, the switch is Kaput, if not, then its not the switch and could be the ignition, the CDi or the Contact -Breakers or Capacitor if its not a CDi model....

Hope that helps some.

Seana
          XX

Comment

The reasons for not having Sparks is one of the following
            a) switch 14 (ignition switch) can not work
            b) switch 12 (engine kill switch) can not work
            c) blown fuse or fuse box problem (rust contacts)
            d) signal generator problem
            e) Ignitor problem
            f) battery problem

Comment

Originally posted by kokar View Post
              c) blown fuse or fuse box problem (rust contacts)
              okay the first thing we checked was fuse, my clymers manual only talks about one "Main Fuse" on the positive line going to the battery... we just didnt think that made since to only have one fuse can anyone confirm this?

and two when we got this bike the seal inside the signal unit generator on the right side of the motor leak so the po put silicone on there to stop the leak needless to say i have been planning on replacing that anyway due to ****ty condition... btw the silicone is gone and that seal is replaced

Comment

check if there is power to the ign box when all switches are ON

check the ign box is well connected to chassis ground.

this sounds like a broken wire hidden inside the insulation or just a corroded connection some where ....

like a little hide and seek game
                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

rode to the gas station a block away today cuz i needed gas once again shut the bike off with kill switch (as habbit), filled her up and wont start again had to push her home... so im thinking kill switch is bad

Comment

That definitely sounds like a bad connection somewhere.

When redoing my harness, I used contact cleaner on every single connection and plugged/unplugged several times to ensure they were all clean.

I also dismantled both control blocks and the ignition switch and cleaned all with contact cleaner, turning every switch on/off multiple times to make sure the contacts were good.

The kill switch, start button, and igntion switch were all a bit black inside on the contacts.
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

i took the starter button/kill switch apart tonight and cleaned it really good it seems to be working great now... ill pri replace both this fall when it gets to cold to ride plus the singal unit generator, just because its in very porr condition

Comment

Good stuff!

When mine was on the road there were days I'd have to fiddle with the starter button quite a bit before it would actually kick the starter over.

After the clean up, it fires the starter every single press of the button, so it's definitely worth while getting in there and doing it.
                        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                        X