Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nothing!!! how can there be absolutely nothing?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nothing!!! how can there be absolutely nothing?!?

Ok so I bought a 1980 gs450 about a month ago. It has fired up every single day without a problem. Even today. But I rode it about 5 miles to my buddys house and as soon as I pulled in his driveway it died. The is no power to anything anywhere. Battery is good. I have no clue where to start.

Fuse?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I feel your pain

1. Are the battery connections secure? (my 650 kept rattling the negative terminal loose). How do you know the battery is good? Did you get a voltmeter across it? Tried it on a friend's bike to see if it cranks it over?

2. voltage drop across the fuse box?
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. pbkid6974,

Start with the obvious. Inspect the fuses, check the terminals at the battery, check all the wiring connections under the tank, under the seat, behind the side covers, inside the headlight bucket, etc. How do you know the battery is good?

Anyway, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Fuse is good. First thing I checked.

Jumped starter solenoid and it cranks so battery should be good. Only thing I can think of is ignition switch. That would send power to the whole bike correct? And since there's no power there's no spark right?

Comment

Hi,

It's possible that there is enough juice in the battery to turn the motor but supply such a weak spark that it won't start. Measure the voltage at the coils both at rest and when you crank the motor. It should read at least 12v at rest and more than 10v when actually cranking the engine.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by pbkid6974 View Post
              Fuse is good. First thing I checked.

Jumped starter solenoid and it cranks so battery should be good. Only thing I can think of is ignition switch. That would send power to the whole bike correct? And since there's no power there's no spark right?

Correct, if you're able to jump the starter solenoid and get it to crank, yet when you turn the key you get no lights, brake lights, or starting, I'd guess ignition, I can't think of a blown fuse combo that would produce those results.

If your battery is low, you'd loose the ability to crank before spark.

Comment

Fuses can look good but still blow under the metal cap. If you only checked them visually, still take a power light and verify it. Better to know for sure than to waste hours troubleshooting something that isn't right.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Ok so I bought a 1980 gs450 about a month ago. It has fired up every single day without a problem. Even today. But I rode it about 5 miles to my buddys house and as soon as I pulled in his driveway it died. The is no power to anything anywhere. Battery is good. I have no clue where to start.

open the headlight bucket and start at the KEY SWITCH base. then the key switch plug connection.

fuse block 3rd main ground 4th and so on so forth.
                  SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                    Fuses can look good but still blow under the metal cap. If you only checked them visually, still take a power light and verify it. Better to know for sure than to waste hours troubleshooting something that isn't right.
                    Truth here. I had a fuse blow but look fine when I pulled it. A new fuse confirmed that the older one had blown, even though it looked intact within the glass tube.

Comment

Kill switch? Did you perhaps knock it and it's just not quite on?
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Does anyone know where I can find a pdf wire diagram? I will be starting this hopefully short and simple voyage (probably wont short or simple) tomorrow after work. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

Does anyone know where I can find a pdf wire diagram? I will be starting this hopefully short and simple voyage (probably wont short or simple) tomorrow after work. Thanks for all the suggestions.
                          Go back one page to BassCliff's mega welcome post and go to his website, there is both a Haynes and Clymer manual for download on there you can refer to
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                            Go back one page to BassCliff's mega welcome post and go to his website, there is both a Haynes and Clymer manual for download on there you can refer to
                            The service manuals have wiring diagrams that are spread across 2 pages and easier to read than the Clymer ones.

HTH

Comment

Ground wire problem?
                              Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Working...
                              X