What are good grounds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are good grounds?

Sorry for such a basic question. But I am just now learning all about motorcycle electric. I am really enjoying the learning. And all of your help. I read a lot about "make sure you have good grounds". What makes a ground good or bad? Thanks - Rob.

Originally posted by robdsuzuki View Post
    Sorry for such a basic question. But I am just now learning all about motorcycle electric. I am really enjoying the learning. And all of your help. I read a lot about "make sure you have good grounds". What makes a ground good or bad? Thanks - Rob.
    Bare, corrosion free metal.
    -1980 GS1100 LT
    -1975 Honda cb750K
    -1972 Honda cl175
    - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

see............

Step #2

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

FIX Chronically burning stators with SERIES R/R COMPUFIRE see GS CHARGING_SYSTEM_HEALTH
      Last edited by posplayr; 09-13-2011, 02:28 PM.

Comment

A stainless steel star washer on either side of your terminal lugs. They dig in real good and insure a good ground.
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

A good ground will have no resistance when measured with a ohmeter from two different points, such as a terminal connected to a wire and that wire then connected to the frame. Although some grounding circuits will have some resistance and can function OK, ideally a grounding circuit with no resistance would be optimal, as resistance can cause such problems as
          poor lighting, sluggish starting, and may even cause a circuit to fail if the resistance is too high. These are usually referred to as "dirty" grounds. Resistance in wiring when there shouldn't be any causes voltage drops.
          A ground provides a path to complete an electronic circuit. If you have
          a poor ground that circuit could fail, the usual causes are rust or corrosion
          on mating surfaces, corroded or faulty wiring (only a few unbroken strands to allow current flow), paint on frame not allowing metal to metal contact with a terminal. Loose connections, etc.
          A good ground should be tight, the metal should be non corroded and shiny.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Thank you all very much. Appreciate your time teaching and advising. Rob

Comment

Working...
            X