Extra brake light wires in the front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extra brake light wires in the front

I have been changing things up in front of the wiring system -- new gauges, new turn signals, etc.

Real estate for wiring up front is getting pretty dear, so I am working out how to streamline things, such as shedding some excess wire lengths left over from changing out components.

A top candidate for deletion is the multi-wire cluster for the gear indicator. The old one never worked (always showed me in 8th gear ), and the new gauges don't include one. So that six-wire plug is useless.

All the other wires in the cluster are accounted for except one set. There is a small group of 2-3 brown wires that dead-end into a bullet connector that was living in the headlight bucket. The wiring diagram shows this to be part of the brake light circuit that, indeed, dead-ends at the front. Why have this at all?

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
    I have been changing things up in front of the wiring system -- new gauges, new turn signals, etc.

Real estate for wiring up front is getting pretty dear, so I am working out how to streamline things, such as shedding some excess wire lengths left over from changing out components.

A top candidate for deletion is the multi-wire cluster for the gear indicator. The old one never worked (always showed me in 8th gear ), and the new gauges don't include one. So that six-wire plug is useless.

All the other wires in the cluster are accounted for except one set. There is a small group of 2-3 brown wires that dead-end into a bullet connector that was living in the headlight bucket. The wiring diagram shows this to be part of the brake light circuit that, indeed, dead-ends at the front. Why have this at all?
    Is it possible they are meant for running lights (which will in the back go to the brake/running light)

Comment

Originally posted by bakalorz View Post
      Is it possible they are meant for running lights (which will in the back go to the brake/running light)
      I think that is correct, since that brown wire does not run through the front brake switch. But I don't understand why it has a deadhead run to the front of the bike.

Here is the diagram:

That brown wire does run back to the tail-light, but the run to the left goes to a dead end.

Comment

Some front turn signals are dual element for running lights.
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
        X