Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

Originally posted by MadCapsule View Post

I'm debating on whether or not I should just buy one of the Electrosport stators for the peace of mind.
    From personal experience, I'd buy a Rick's Electrics stator. I think you'll like the better materials and construction.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
      Hi,

From personal experience, I'd buy a Rick's Electrics stator. I think you'll like the better materials and construction.

BassCliff
      Rick's seems to only sell rebuilt stators for my bike and they are a bit pricey. Are they rebuilt to better-than-stock specs?

Comment

I just sent an email to an eBay seller about this stator:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stato...ht_1930wt_1165

I wanted to find out if it's a 12 unit. Hopefully it is, because that's a really good price.

Initial reports sound positive:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ht=ebay+stator

Comment

Hi,

I have read about a few member who have bought stators from the Ebay seller Caltric and had good results. They look similar to the Rick's Electric unit.

BassCliff

Comment

Good to hear. Thanks, BassCliff.

I just got a reply from Caltric saying that the unit shown is indeed an 18 pole unit. I sent them another email asking if they have any for my bike that are 12 pole units.

Comment

Hi,

You can always upgrade to the 18 pole stator unit. But you will also have to install a newer stator rotor (generally 1980 or later) with the proper number of magnets so that the system charges like it's supposed to.

BassCliff

Comment

Personally, if it were my bike and I needed a new stator:
                I would purchase a used rotor for an 18 pole stator, insuring it would mount correctly on my particular bike. There are folk here who would know what fits, but it ain't me.
                I would purchase the $90 eBay stator and install it along with the Honda R/R you already purchased.
                I would ride the blazes off it.
                JMHO.

Comment

Another update:

Mister Cinders was kind enough to run the tests from the Stator Papers with me on my bike. The tests didn't seem to conclude that either the stator or the r/r were definitely toast. The battery wasn't charging quite as much as it should have been, but it was still charging. We also went over the tests with a different battery that was fully charged and got similar results.

We did however find a connection coming from the r/r that had some scorch marks and a hole on the cover that goes over the bullet connector. I believe the scorching occurred when my bike still had the old wiring harness installed, as both ends of the bullet connector in question were clean and free of corrosion.

Could the cover/boot with a hole in it have caused a short that would have blown the fuse and then drained the battery?

BassCliff and koolaid_kid, you both mentioned upgrading to the 18 pole stator. What advantages does that have over a 12 pole stator?

Comment

Mainly availability and lower prices. Since it has 18 poles I would also expect it to have a higher voltage output.

Comment

Working...
                    X