stator and ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stator and ignition

im looking for a cheap but reliable stator and ignition for a 82 gs450t... i kmnow cheap and reliable arent normally put together but im on a budget if anyone knows of aftermark ones please let me know thanks for the help

Think about rewinding your stator. Not that difficult. There is a thread on here about doing this yourself. As for ignition, depends on what you are needing. Coils, pickups or module? Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

thanks ghost i meant to say ignitor... im get an eregualar spark so im starting with the stator then ignitor if that doesn solve it... i removed my kill switch thought it was that and nothing so now im here

Comment

Hi,

I've collected information about rewinding a stator on my website. Look in the Electrical Odds and Ends section. It references the information on this site and a thread from Mr. Nerobro where he relates his stator rewinding experience.

Stator Rewinding

The igniter units are repairable too. You may have to melt the epoxy off of the circuit board and replace a few components, but the components are really cheap. Here are a couple of references, not the exact procedure for you, but something to give you and idea of how to repair your igniter.

Igniter Repair/Testing (PDF file - 2MB)

And this current thread: '81 GS550T ignition replica for a few euro !

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

if your GS450 have a signal generator you can use the igniter from my GS550
          the only difference is the ignition coil

'81 GS550T ignition replica for a few euro !

this igniter fits to other models ( GS )

Comment

Originally posted by kokar View Post
            if your GS450 have a signal generator you can use the igniter from my GS550
            the only difference is the ignition coil

'81 GS550T ignition replica for a few euro !

this igniter fits to other models ( GS )
            I was just about to point you here too ^

Once the HEI setup is done that will be an option too, but that's not going to help you any time soon.
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

okay so im lost what is the difference between the singal unit generator and the stator???

Comment

Hi,

Click on the links and the difference will be clear. The stator generates AC which is regulated into DC that charges the battery and supplies electricity to the bike. The signal unit generator (igniter) generates the pulses that tell the ignition coils to fire the plugs (make sparks).

BassCliff
                Last edited by Guest; 09-19-2011, 08:44 PM.

Comment

bass cliff you seem very knowledgeable around here so i would like to ask you personally... about a week ago i drove my bike to the in laws, pulled up there driveway used the kill switch to turn it off... went to leave and no spark took the kill switch apart cleaned it and got spark again... drove home used kill switch to turn it off... next day came out to ride and no spark again took kill switch apart again cleaned it got spark decided to stop using kill switch. rode the bike i few times since now probably a total of 40 miles without using the kill switch and havent had a problem. today drove the bike around the block and it died got it started again turned around to take it home and it died again pushed to the garage pulled the spark plug out to test spark and once again no spark... i took the kill switch cut to off and connected the wires directly to each other the eliminate the kill switch thinking thats my problem and i still have no spark where would you go from here man im new to bikes this year know my way around carbs and engines but hell electrical is still a mystery to me... any help would be greatly appreciated

Comment

Ty,

SOme comments:

Signal Generator is part of the ignition system. THell the rest of the ignition system "when" to spark.
                    Stator is part of the charging system.

If problem with kill swtich, then the starter button/solenoid/motor would not work either.

Stator not at all likley to be cause of ignition problems, well, unless charging system not working and battery voltage so low that ignition can not work, but would then would have other problems also.

If having ignition problems, do not overlook the spark plug caps. They can go bad.

You have a multi meter?
                    You will want to have a multi meter to troubleshoot electrical problems.
                    You have a 30 year old bike, you have a 30 year old GS, you will want to have a multimeter.

Dave.
                    Last edited by Redman; 09-19-2011, 09:49 PM.
                    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

thank you dave for clearing up the stator thing. i havent checked the spark plug caps but if you can explain to me how i go about doing that i will, just wouldnt think they would both go bad at the same time. thank you for your help and any in the future

Comment

Actually... could it be as simple as a dodgy ground connection for your ignitor? Where does the ignitor ground lead terminate?

I know it has a ring terminal on it, and the stock grounding point is somewhere on the electrics plate, so perhaps undo the ground, make sure where it terminates is free of corrosion, clean it all up and see what happens.
                        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

i cleaned the ground on the ignitor tonight and still no spark the clymers manual i have has a trouble shoot for no spark but all it talks about is breaker points and stuff... my model doesnt have points... this book is so screwed up

Comment

Hi,

It sounds like you may have to go through your harness with a fine tooth comb to look for bad connections, loose connectors, melted wiring, shorts, melted connectors, etc. And clean everything up as you go. Clean connections and grounds are good for your electrical system. Look in the headlight bucket, under the fuel tank, under the seat and side covers, etc. Good luck.

BassCliff

Comment

came home from work tonight and spent about 6 hours following wires and check follow wires and check... well i followed about 8 different wires the last rounds checked and now i got spark... so idk what i did i havent found ANY wires that are burnt or worn or broken just moved them around and got spark...

Comment

Working...
                              X