Holy Cow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy Cow!

I need to check my valve tappet clearances. I take my gas tank off and there is a charred appearance near the left side coil. This is the one for cylinders #1 and 4(1979 GS1000). The top surface of the coil itself as well as the frame rails in the area have a blackened, cracked, charred look. The corresponding plugs look a little different than the inside ones but I had put this down to 2 and 3 having the connection tube. But now I'm freaked out. That much heat right there with the fuel tank surrounding it! My cojones are shriveling!

Bike has been running fine though...

Hi,

Dirty, corroded connections have more resistance which leads to heat, melted insulation and connectors. Check, clean, and replace all electrical connections as necessary. Don't forget the connections in the headlight bucket, ignition switch, fuse box, etc. Your charging system and the rest of your bike will love you for it. You've got a 30 year old motorcycle that is likely 20 years behind on maintenance. It's great that you are tackling the valve adjustments now. Keep up the good work.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
    X