Here's one for you!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's one for you!

Ok, I have a 79 Wes Cooley replica, been apart for 15 years has some of you might know by my posts. the problem is that when I first got it back together, the starting system was working fine. now, the starter won't turn at all when cold, but, after I push/bump start it, and get a little heat in the engine, even just a little, like riding 3 blocks to the mini mart, stop it, and go to leave, and restart by starter motor, it wii kick over.
    I know my battery(3 months old), is not in good shape, it will barely kick over, and will have to repush/bump start, but the starter will engage. so I need to get a new battery again. what do you think this could be? cold, won't turn over. a little heat after starting, it will engage, but weekly, because the battery needs replacing. just the battery? clutch lockout adjustment? when trying to start, the relay make a little noise, but not the obvious loud "clack" noise I'm told it's supposed to make. any thoughts,ideas? Thanks for you're input!

check and charge up the battery. that is the first step. a 3 month old battery mite just be a bad cell. then there mite just be a lose ground or positive, cable some ware in the system. check them all over. next would be to get out your volt meter and check to see if you have positive coming from the handle bar switch to the starting solenoid. then to see if you have all the voltage going in and out to the starter.

now for the fun part. if all the checks look good your going to need to remove the starter and check it. thats going to be the fun part. it just may need a set of brushes or a full rebuild. could just be as simple as replacing some bearings. or lubing them. a good shop that rebuilds them should have most of the parts or be able to have it rebuilt in a week.

Comment

Working...
    X