Lights dimming at 4k RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lights dimming at 4k RPM

So yesterday I replaced my stator and my R/R. It seems to be charging correctly, however I have a different problem that wasn't present before I replaced those parts. Whenever the engine revs above about 4k the gauge lights go dim and even out completely. They come back on when the RPM's drop. This seems to be happening both with and without the headlight on.

I am going to try to move the ground lead from the R/R from the frame ground to the negative terminal, but I'm not sure if that will help.

Your system is not charging. Are you sure you made the connections correctly?

Comment

I have fixed this problem by adding grounds in the past. Make sure there is a ground directly from the R/R to the battery (I add a jumper from the starter solenoid ground, where the R/R is grounder, to the battery). Also make sure the battery and battery box is grounded to the frame.

The last two of these bikes i tried to fix that way, it did not completely fix the problem A good used Shininden R/R did fix the problem though. You need to make sure you are using out with a good fully charged battery from the start, or testing is inconclusive.

I also always solder the three stator leads to the R/R and the output from the R/R these days. I have seen way too many (very nearly all) of the main R/R power in and power out connectors in overheated crispy critter condition. Its as easy to delete the connectors as it is to replace them, and more fail safe. Of course, now I may be redoing them on one bike because it needs a starter clutch. The connectors can be convenient at times. On the other hand, if you have a charging problem, they probably contributed to it, if they didn't cause it.

Originally posted by zerdnog View Post
      So yesterday I replaced my stator and my R/R. It seems to be charging correctly, however I have a different problem that wasn't present before I replaced those parts. Whenever the engine revs above about 4k the gauge lights go dim and even out completely. They come back on when the RPM's drop. This seems to be happening both with and without the headlight on.

I am going to try to move the ground lead from the R/R from the frame ground to the negative terminal, but I'm not sure if that will help.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Check and make sure you didn't pinch any stator wires when you put the cases back together. That might bleed power to ground, but assuming your equipment is good it does sound like a grounding issue. I always use stainless steel star washers on both sides of anything I am trying to ground, so it digs in real good and makes a good contact.
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Did you bypass the stator loop going thru headlight switch and wire the stator direct to R/R ? As others have said , a ground wire connecting the R/R negative to battery negative is vital. What brand of R/R did you get ? Follow link to Basscliff's site and do some charging system tests- best to figure this out ASAP before you risk damaging stuff.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The stator is wired directly to the RR. The RR is from RMStator. The RR I removed was not stock and had six wires hooked up to it. The one I replaced it with only has 5 (3 yellow for the stator, 1 green for ground and 1 red for positive). I simply capped off the extra wire, which I thought was a sense wire, should I have done something different with this wire?

Comment

Hi Mr. zerdnog,

If it was a "sense" wire then it is connected to a switched 12v source. Where does that wire connect? Make sure it is not grounded in any way and is completely insulated and unconnected. Your new r/r unit will work without it.

Check for voltage loss between the r/r output and the battery positive. If you have more than 0.2v loss then you have a lot of cleaning to do in your wiring harness, fuse box, grounds, connectors, etc. See the following:

More On The Stator Papers

GS Charging System Health+Quick Test

Now, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

First of all I've got to say that this is a wonderful community of very helpful people. Thank you all for responding with all of your helpful suggestions.

So I feel really ridiculous for overlooking the obvious, but here is what the problem turned out to be. The previous owner had replaced the signal fuse with a piece of wire when it had blown on him on a ride. The lights dimming was a result of this wire vibrating loose. So I replaced the fuse, and all is good again. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Comment

Hi,

I'm glad you've found the immediate issue. But it's still a good idea to go through the electrical system cleaning and running the tests. It can save you some fried connectors and wires later on down the road.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                  X