No announcement yet.

Dyna Ignition, no spark at all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checked voltage at the hot wire for the Dyna...just over 7V. Replaced the wire with a new one, new connection as well. Still the same voltage. So there is an issue deep in the wiring harness, I geuss. Yeehah fun.
    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius086 View Post
      Checked voltage at the hot wire for the Dyna...just over 7V. Replaced the wire with a new one, new connection as well. Still the same voltage. So there is an issue deep in the wiring harness, I geuss. Yeehah fun.
      Mike the feed to the hot wire to the Dyna S and coils goes through the ign switch and the kill switch and maybe through the clutch lever and side stand switch if your bike has those. If these switches are dirty, corroded, damp, etc. that will cause a voltage drop.

You can trace these parts out and clean them up with fine emery paper if you can get them apart, otherwise squirt contact cleaner in and around each switch and work the switch on and off a few dozen times to help clean it up in side.

If that doesn't work for you and you still have 7v at the Dyna S hot wire, then you will need to do the coil relay upgrade to get a good 12v to the coils and Dyna. And only use the orange/white wire coming from the igniter to trigger the relay when the ign switch is turned on.

The problem is unlikely to be in the wiring harness, as in the actual wires themselves, it is most likely in the switches and bits hanging off the ends of the wires.

Good luck.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-04-2011, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Right hand switch assembly is brand new. Clutch safety switch bypassed. Will clean the side stand switch. I did find another switched 12V source (rear brake light) with a full 12V when the power is on. Would tapping into this for the power for the Dyna be acceptable?

As for the relay set up, Jim (posplyr) used the aux connections @ the fuse panel to power the relay, if I'm reading his diagrams right (on BassCliff's site).

Again...Don, and everybody-thanks for all the help!!
        Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Just do a relay mod to the entire ignition tapping into the O/W wire after the kill switch headed to the coils.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

So wired as you suggest, this relay would power the Dyna & the coils, too? How exactly would I need to wire this relay? Would it be a 4 pin automotive relay? 2 pin? I know nothing about relays...
            Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius086 View Post
              So wired as you suggest, this relay would power the Dyna & the coils, too? How exactly would I need to wire this relay? Would it be a 4 pin automotive relay? 2 pin? I know nothing about relays...
              Have a look at Cliffs website for a coil relay mod.
              Use the hot end of the O/W wire as the switched wire and the other end to power the Dyna and coils. Plug the Dyna into the O/W that used to go to your ignitor. Make sure to use a fuse from the battery and use a good ground like the one at the engine case with the battery cable.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

OK...found and can tap into a clean source of switched 12V for the Dyna S. So, I can go the quick way and just do a coil relay per Cliff's instructions, or do Jim's (posplayr) relay set up that powers both the Dyna AND the Coils at the same time. Slightly more complicated, so I poured over Jim's diagram on Cliff's site and sent him some questions.

He said he'd look over things and get back to me...I just wanted to clarify a few things with him before I did anything. Making progress.

All hail Posplayr and BassCliff
                Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

I am OFFICIALLY at my wits end. I installed Cliff's relay mod. I doubled checked EVERYTHING. Still NO voltage at the coils. What is going on?!?!?!
                  Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Is the relay tripping? 12v at the switched relay terminal when it's powered on?

Comment

12 V at the relay when ignition is switched on. Power lead (12 gauge wire) runs directly to battery with 30 amp in line fuse; relay grounded to the frame with 12 gauge wire. I am going to re-do the coil lead in the morning.
                      Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

SO, even with a different relay, the switch isn't consistently getting tripped inside the relay...even when the blade to which battery power is plugged to shows 12V. Post 87 (output to coils) shows nothing WTH?? Battery shows 13.3 volts.

EDIT: This relay has an exposed "stud" where pole 87a would be on a 5 pin relay. When the ignition switch is turned ON, this has 12V to it while the poles 86 & 87 have very little (.2V or .1V w/ volt meter set on 20 DCV setting). Do I have something else wired backwards or something? This is absolutely maddening!!! What are the chances of getting 2 faulty relays in a row??

Dyna S is wired per directions with the kit:

Red lead: Switched 12V power (12V indicated with IGN turned ON)
                        Black lead: (-) post on 2/3 coil
                        White lead: (-) post on 1/4 coil

Coil relay wiring is as follows:

Pole 87: to the coils (+) lead on each coil. (shows nothing or very little V when IGN is switched ON)
                        Pole 86: to O/W wires coming out of the harness. (as above)
                        Pole 85: Common ground to the frame.
                        Pole 30: Power supply from (+) terminal of battery w/ 30A inline fuse. (Shows 12V when IGN is switched ON)
                        "pole" 87a: (This is flush with the surface of the relay, it does not offer a place to plug a spade connector, but I can touch it with the probe, and it indicates 12V when IGN is switched ON). It is in the same location (middle of relay) as Pole 87a would be on a 5 pin relay.
                        Last edited by Cassius086; 10-08-2011, 12:37 PM.
                        Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Since we have no clue where you live we can't come over and take a look. (hint)
                          Please detail how each terminal is connected, similar to this:
                          30: 12V From battery
                          85: Ground
                          86: 12V O/W from coils
                          87: 12V out to coils
                          87a: N/C

Comment

Modded my last post to show the layout. I am in Charleston, SC...but will be in Terre Haute, IN to visit family for a week later in OCT. My brother has offered to help, but he isn't a motorcycle guy, let alone a GS enthusiast...but I geuss that doesn't matter.

AVP has one in stock...Dare I take a risk on a NOS wiring harness from them? I know they have a bad rep here...
                            Last edited by Cassius086; 10-08-2011, 01:49 PM.
                            Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

I suspect you don't have enough voltage at 86 to trip the relay..

as a test jump post 30 to 86 and see if you get 12v at 87..

30 should always be 12v.. ignition of or not..

Ignore 87A it appears to be live when the relay on not powered.. +12v to 86 and 87 is live.. no voltage to 86 and 87A is live..

hmm just for fun try reversing 85 and 86.. make 86 the ground and 85 the signal line..

That orange white wire that feeds the ignition has a long path to run..
                              It runs from the fuse box all the way up to the right grip kill switch..
                              From there it feeds both the ignition circuit (orange white)and the starter relay signal line (green yellow)..
                              the wires are easy to find in the headlight.. check the voltage there and clean the connectors.. If the voltage is low there check the connectors in the fuse holder.
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-08-2011, 02:14 PM.

Comment

If I don't get this sorted soon, I think I'll break down and get the proper connector kits, label everything, take copius pics and pull the wiring harness...spread it out on a sheet of plywood, secure it in place and make a duplicate. Anybody know what gauge wire the harnes is made of predominantly?? 18 gauge? 20 gauge?

I just don't have confidence in AVP to buy a harness from them...
                                Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Working...
                                X