Dyna Ignition, no spark at all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*SIGH*

OK, I have exchanged PMs with Jim, and performed his Coil/ignition relay mod per instructions. STILL NOTHING to the coils. I tried switching the ground and signal wires @ the relay as sschering suggested. No dice. Jim's mod takes the O/W from the kill switch out of the loop with a wire direct to the relay from the switch while bypassing the long O/W run thru the harness. Starter button does nothing, and no voltage @ coils. I think I stated earlier that the starter WILL turn the motor over when I jump the solenoid with a screw driver....

Anderson Vintage Parts has a NOS harness...if only I could get somebody to answer the damn phone or reply to an email.

I have put A LOT of work into this bike, and it is REALLY frustrating that I'm stuck @ an electrical problem...
    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Mike,
      Part of the problem has got to be that you dont have a schematic. Granted I left some details out, in my schematics as I assumed it was just a detail for the reader.

What Koolaid said............EXCEPT Edited in RED..................

Since we have no clue where you live we can't come over and take a look. (hint)
      Please detail how each terminal is connected, similar to this:
      30: 12V From battery
      85: Ground
      86: [[12V O/W from coils]] CORRECTED Switch 12V O/W from Kill Switch
      87: 12V out to coils
      87a: N/C

Comment

I was very careful to follow your directions from the last PM you sent (which is what you list above from Koolaid with your correction). Still no dice.

Too add to the confusion, when I did so I lost all the idiot lights and gear position indicator display. Only things that lit up when I turned on the ignition were the lights that illumninate the gauges.

UGH. It has to be something overwhelmingly simple that I am overlooking.

The 12V from batt to the Relay is a fused (30A) 12 gauge wire. Ground is a 12 gauge wire grounded to the frame (yes, the frame was scrubbed to assure clealiness). Should the ground be a heavier gauge wire?? The relay just isn't getting tripped...
        Last edited by Cassius086; 10-15-2011, 06:20 PM.
        Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius086 View Post
          *SIGH*

OK, I have exchanged PMs with Jim, and performed his Coil/ignition relay mod per instructions. STILL NOTHING to the coils. I tried switching the ground and signal wires @ the relay as sschering suggested. No dice. Jim's mod takes the O/W from the kill switch out of the loop with a wire direct to the relay from the switch while bypassing the long O/W run thru the harness. Starter button does nothing, and no voltage @ coils. I think I stated earlier that the starter WILL turn the motor over when I jump the solenoid with a screw driver....

Anderson Vintage Parts has a NOS harness...if only I could get somebody to answer the damn phone or reply to an email.

I have put A LOT of work into this bike, and it is REALLY frustrating that I'm stuck @ an electrical problem...
          Mike, don't screw with Anderson, they are on the deadbeat list. They are the reason we have a deadbeat section here. They'll take your money and not respond to email, phone calls, or anything else. I had to threaten to report them to the FBI Internet Fraud Division to get their attention. They haven't been worth a crap in years. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=85641
          Last edited by Guest; 10-15-2011, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Take a reading and see what voltage you have on both sides of the ign switch..

Comment

poss battery

Maybe im being too simple about this, but ive had a similar prob before w/ my bike and a dyna ign. Not sure what model youve got, ive got the 4k w/ all the goodies and if my batt gets low it wont fire. Somewhere around 7-8v you notice the performance difference, much lower than that it does mostly nada. Even w/ a charger on it in the bike, its not happy w/ the battery that low. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Thascrambler View Post
                Maybe im being too simple about this, but ive had a similar prob before w/ my bike and a dyna ign. Not sure what model youve got, ive got the 4k w/ all the goodies and if my batt gets low it wont fire. Somewhere around 7-8v you notice the performance difference, much lower than that it does mostly nada. Even w/ a charger on it in the bike, its not happy w/ the battery that low. Hope this helps.
                All Dyna ignitions are designed to operate on 12v or more. They quit working reliably at 11v or so.

Earl
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Static voltage reading on my Shorai was 14.2 V...taking it with me on vacation to see family. My brother is quite a good auto electrican...
                  Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Just an odd question, when you tapped into the O/W wire to trigger the relay, you did make sure the O/W wire circuit is still intact just splicing the relay in. The O/W wire needs to remain a circuit, or you get NADA at the coils or the ignitor.

I got a little confused at this point in the install of mine and had to re read that part to make sure I wasn't cutting the O/W wire out.

Comment

I didn't tap into the circuit, I bypassed it with posplyr's relay set up. We seem to have found an issue with the fusebox. Voltage is just not consisent. My brother says there are two seperate issues, not one. We now have spark @ the coils when starting at the solenoid, but the starter button does nothing. I'll update more as we find out more...

Thanks a ton for all the help, guys!!

Edit: Well, after re-checking things, we tried several fuses, but still don't get any voltage @ the fuse block from the ignition's fuse slot or the signal fuse slot. Going to order a new fuse block from BB or somebody tomorrow.
                      Last edited by Cassius086; 10-23-2011, 02:23 PM.
                      Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

SUCCESS!!!!!!

We have fire The fuse block was the problem...

The V&H pipe is a bit louder than I anticipated, but she is running and sounds good! Need to make some carb adjustments here and there, and actually mount the relay and route the wires neatly. Felt really good to hear the Ole Girl fire up!!!

Thanks a TON for all the help, guys.
                        Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

That's about the way things usually end up. You chase your tail looking for bigger problems then it comes down to something like that. I have had trouble with mine too and have some aftermarket fuse block on mine.

Comment

It's running quite well...have run into some clearance issues with the chain, though. At least I can see what is going on with this issue. Will get it sorted, though. SO good to hear it run again!!
                            Last edited by Cassius086; 10-31-2011, 10:21 AM.
                            Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Working...
                            X