Dummy Fuse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dummy Fuse?

I'm putting a new fuse box in my 1100Gl. It doesn't have a tight cover like the original. I'm wondering if filth will work it's way into fuse slots if they aren't occupied by a fuse. I was thinking maybe a plastic dummy fuse to put in just to close up the hole might work. There are more slots than I will use at least for now. I guess I could also just glob on a little "paint on" tape to close the hole. Am I inventing things to worry about?

1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

I would not worry about covering it with anything more than VINYL electrical tape, not liquid tape.

Just remember that with that fuse panel, ALL of your circuits will be live at the same time, when the center bus terminal is fed.
    On your bike, only the MAIN fuse and AUX fuse are live all the time, the others get turned on by the key.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I use the empty slots to carry spares in case one blows.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm kind of trying to follow the fuse box upgrade from BikeCliff's site. I was going to run the red wire that powers the main and aux straight into the red wire from the harness and just bypass the fuse box with those. I will put a 15 amp in-line spade fuse when I connect those 2 red wires. I won't have an Aux. I can't figure out how to post my wiring diagram but it shows a solid orange wire supplying power for the other 3 fuses. I was going to connect this keyed solid orange wire to the post for power supply on the fuse panel and connect the headlight, ignition, and signal circuits to 3 of the male spade outs. I will have a black and white wire from the connector left over. It serves as a ground for the aux if I'm reading things right so I guess I can just seal it up or ground it to the frame somewhere. I thought maybe I would put female connectors on the unused male spade outs and cover them with shrink wrap or something since I guess they will be hot if I store spare fuses in the unused slots. Does this sounds okay?
        Last edited by 1948man; 10-01-2011, 04:41 PM.
        1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
          I can't figure out how to post my wiring diagram ...
          Can you send it to me as an attachment in an e-mail?

Click on my username for my e-mail address.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the help Steve. I feel a lot better knowing I'm getting it right.
            1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Working...
            X