Engine Spins on Starter when Kill Switch is OFF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Spins on Starter when Kill Switch is OFF

When I turn the ign sw ON and have the kill sw. in the OFF position and press the starter button the engine turns over as normal. Of course it does not start because kill sw is OFF.

Is this normal or have I wired something up incorrectly when I rebuilt my loom.

Looking at the wiring diagrams the O/W wire from the fuse seems to go directly to one side of the kill sw, so when the kill switch is OFF the current stops at the kill sw and does not continue over to the starter button until the kill sw is activated.

Does anyone else have a GS that will turn over on the starter button when the kill sw is in the OFF position.

Comments please.

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
    When I turn the ign sw ON and have the kill sw. in the OFF position and press the starter button the engine turns over as normal. Of course it does not start because kill sw is OFF.

Is this normal or have I wired something up incorrectly when I rebuilt my loom.

Looking at the wiring diagrams the O/W wire from the fuse seems to go directly to one side of the kill sw, so when the kill switch is OFF the current stops at the kill sw and does not continue over to the starter button until the kill sw is activated.

Does anyone else have a GS that will turn over on the starter button when the kill sw is in the OFF position.

Comments please.
    it sounds like you have the 2 orange and white wires switched, if you look at the plug end of the harness for the handle bar control you will see that there are 2 orange and white wires but 1 has a little red band on it, that one is the powered one which feeds the switch and should go through the kill switch first then the start button, not start button then kill switch. I hope I explained this right. I only know this because I did the same thing once.
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

There is a modification that some of us do to make what you are experiencing happen on purpose. We do it so the engine is spinning before there is spark to avoid the engine kicking backwards and breaking the starter clutch bolts. These motors are higher horsepower and thats why it is done. Check the search function and you should be able to see how this comes about...
      Curt
      sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Nope. I've actually had two of those switches go bad I'm guessing because I never use the killswitch. It's possible you've wired something "backards" or it's possible the killswitch is bad.
        IIRC there are actually two wires that come off that switch. One feeds power to the ignition, the other feeds power to the starter. Of course I don't have a diagram in front of me at the moment, but I chased a similar bug a while back in the 1100E I was resurrecting (I shan't say restoring cause it wasn't all stock and I only did the motor, frame, and wiring...he took care of the "tarting up") for Griffin. Motor would turn over, but no sparky sparky. Turned out the contact in the killswitch was dead, feeding power to the starter solenoid, but not to the ignitor.
        I think, after pulling what's left of my hair out, and stripping the harness bare looking for a short somewhere in the loom, I figured it out by running a jumper from known good power down stream of the switch straight to the ignitor.
        Then once I isolated the killswitch being the culprit I had to figure out why and worked back all the way to the contacts in the switch.
        From what I could tell, they weren't replaceable, so I just got a different switch, and tossed that one. Dunno if that'll help or not, but it sounds pretty similar.

Comment

CK I don't think that is my problem as I tested the kill switch when I redid the wiring and it was in perfect condition. I think the other guys might be on the money with the wires being back-to-front going to the kill switch.

I don't mind it the way it is and it is causing no problems. Like you, I rarely use the kill switch, it is mostly in the ON position and the bike starts immediately I press the starter. And it still performs it's function when turned to OFF it kills the coils.

I just wondered if there might have been an alternative wiring diagram for Oz or something like that. I know the U.S. wiring diagrams are a bit different to our bikes in that they have lights ON all the time and we have the option of having our lights ON or OFF.

Another variation to throw into the mix is that I have installed GS650G R/H switchgear to the bike when I re-wired it. So I either got the O/W wires back-to-front or the wiring inside the 650 switchgear is different.

Thanks for the comments, I will go and have a look at the modification for the 1100 starter that was mentioned earlier and maybe look at some other wiring diagrams for reference.

Comment

Do you show volts on the handlebars?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              Do you show volts on the handlebars?
              I put one probe of the multimeter on the handlebars and the other probe on the negative battery terminal. Didn't read anything.

Comment

Not sure about the early GSes, but some early Hondas would act like that, properly wired from the factory.

It's kind of fun to walk down a line of GoldWings at a larger gathering, identifying the older ones (they almost look alike) and hitting the kill switches. If you are lucky, you might be in the vicinity when the owner comes back and can't figure out WHY his bike won't start.
                They never think of checking the kill switch, because they didn't flip it.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Not sure about the early GSes, but some early Hondas would act like that, properly wired from the factory.

It's kind of fun to walk down a line of GoldWings at a larger gathering, identifying the older ones (they almost look alike) and hitting the kill switches. If you are lucky, you might be in the vicinity when the owner comes back and can't figure out WHY his bike won't start.
                  They never think of checking the kill switch, because they didn't flip it.

STEVE, I can't believe you would do that to Fellow Goldwing owners.

Anyway I may have stumbled on a solution. I came across this GS650G wiring diagram for Australian models and it seems that the O/W wire from the fuse goes directly to the R/H light switch and is wired in between the starter button and the kill switch, so there is 12v being supplied to both when the ign sw is in the ON position.

The blue hi-lite shows the power from fuse to R/H handlebar switch and the yellow shows the power from starter button to solenoid and the other yellow hi-lite shows other side of kill sw going to coils and igniter.

So it appears the starter can be cranked with the kill sw in the OFF position on the 650 models, although most other GS models seem to be wired through the kill sw first so the starter will not operate unless the kill sw is in the ON position.

As often happens I may have answered my own question.
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-06-2011, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                    STEVE, I can't believe you would do that to Fellow Goldwing owners.
                    ME???

I didn't say that I did it, only that it's fun to do.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      ME???

I didn't say that I did it, only that it's fun to do.

YEH, YEH !!!!!!!!!!

We know truth

Comment

When I first read title, I assumed someone had done one of the starter clutch protection mods. Get it spinning, then use the kill switch to turn on the spark.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                          When I first read title, I assumed someone had done one of the starter clutch protection mods. Get it spinning, then use the kill switch to turn on the spark.
                          No, No need for that. The "little" 650 motor hasn't learnt how to spin backwards yet. Only the big boys can do that.

Comment

Working...
                          X