Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spark plug boots / am I doing this right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark plug boots / am I doing this right?

Well I was excited as hell last night since I knew I'd come home to a door step full of parts so I could get the 550 back on the road and enjoy this incredible weather... And now I'm bummed.

The Emgo coils I bought don't include spark plug connectors/boots. It's just a bare wire. Does anyone know which NGK plug caps are appropriate for the NGK N8ES plug? I'm already regretting not springing the extra cash for the Accell or Dynatek coils. ugh.

Also, can someone tell me whether I've got this stuff wired correctly...

Dyna S WHITE output to Coil #1 yellow wire (Emgo coil p/n 2472451)
    Dyna S BLACK output to Coil #2 yellow wire
    Coil #1 black wire joined to Coil #2 black wire, both to switched 12v.
    Dyna S to switched 12v

My bike had a Dyna III so following the OEM -> Dyna S DIY was a good guide but not very accurate for me. I'm pretty sure I've got it right, but don't want to burn anything else up lol
    Last edited by Guest; 10-08-2011, 06:56 PM.

Plug Caps

Pendulum- Grab some NGK's. If you use the search feature on here, it will tell you exactly which ones to grab. I have a small Jap bike shop down the road from me, so, they have everything, plus, two more shops not far.

Comment

The only thing I've found on here is someone talking about which ones to use for the 1100... I'm pretty sure that these are correct:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

NGK part number is XD05F.

Anyone care to chime in on my wiring?

Dyna S WHITE output to Coil #1 yellow wire (Emgo coil p/n 2472451)
      Dyna S BLACK output to Coil #2 yellow wire
      Coil #1 black wire joined to Coil #2 black wire, both to switched 12v.
      Dyna S RED to switched 12v

Comment

Match the originals. Two are long and the others short. Check the angles too. NGK doesn't offer a perfect match in terms of the angles, but close enough.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The long ones are for the inside cylinders, and the shorties are for the outside cylinders. I could go outside and look at the boxes that I saved, but it's almost 1a, so, I guess you'll find the right ones.

Okay, damn it! I'll be right back . . .

Whoops, I guess I did not save the boxes, but, fortunately the markings were clear on the caps (mine are new).

Outside caps (shorties), are VD05F (5 ohm), and the inside (long) are XD05F (5 ohm).

Hope that helps.

Comment

If you check the resistance cap to cap once installed on the wires it might not be quite the same as the figure quoted in the service manual. Some of the OEM caps were about 10K ohms but the 5K caps will work just as well. Come to think of it, with the Emgo coils, I guess everything changes anyway.
            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
            1983 GS 1100 G
            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pendulum View Post
              Does anyone know which NGK plug caps are appropriate for the NGK N8ES plug?
              Pendulum, what type of 550 are we talking about here? It would pay to put the bike in your signature for everyone to see.

I think N8ES spark plugs as quoted by you are not correct. If it's a '77 to '82 8-valve 550 motor the plugs would be B8ES. make sure you order the correct sparl plug caps as Suzuki used both the 12mm and 14mm spark plugs. And they use different spark plug caps. Hence the "B" and "D" in the spark plug cap Part # (2nd digit).

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                The long ones are for the inside cylinders, and the shorties are for the outside cylinders. I could go outside and look at the boxes that I saved, but it's almost 1a, so, I guess you'll find the right ones.

Okay, damn it! I'll be right back . . .

Whoops, I guess I did not save the boxes, but, fortunately the markings were clear on the caps (mine are new).

Outside caps (shorties), are VD05F (5 ohm), and the inside (long) are XD05F (5 ohm).

Hope that helps.
                Thanks! That did help, and I actually just picked up my new caps.

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                Pendulum, what type of 550 are we talking about here? It would pay to put the bike in your signature for everyone to see.

I think N8ES spark plugs as quoted by you are not correct. If it's a '77 to '82 8-valve 550 motor the plugs would be B8ES. make sure you order the correct sparl plug caps as Suzuki used both the 12mm and 14mm spark plugs. And they use different spark plug caps. Hence the "B" and "D" in the spark plug cap Part # (2nd digit).
                It's a '79, and you're right. I had the wrong PN for the plugs; I was going off memory.

I've got a new problem... How the hell do I connect the bare wire from the EMGO coil to these new NGK caps? It looks like I need a bullet connector, but is this OK to do on spark plug wires?

Comment

Hi,

I found this on some guy's website:

Spark Plug Cap Replacement

This page has a lot of information too:

*Electrical Odds and Ends*

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                  X