How to connect a two wire timing light 78 GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to connect a two wire timing light 78 GS1000

I am setting up new points and condensers, and need to check the timing on my 78gs1000. I am electrically challenged.

How do I connect the light? One wire has an alligator clip, the other is bare.

What do the words " low voltage side of the points" mean.

Please keep it really simple. Your help is much needed!

Look at your points. One side is bolted to the mounting plate, the other one moves.

Might work best to put your clip on the spring that keeps the moving side closed and touch the bare wire to the other side.

Turn the key ON. If the points are closed, the light will be OFF. When the points open, the light will be ON.

When the light comes ON, the 1-4 F mark should be in the timing window.

Simple enough?

Of course, you need to do the same thing for the 2-3 points.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve. Simple enough even for me. Left side lights up on opening, nothing on the right. Engine runs, but only on 1 and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC10 View Post
        Thanks Steve. Simple enough even for me. Left side lights up on opening, nothing on the right. Engine runs, but only on 1 and 4.
        The right side (2,3) contact points are grounding. It is probably because the insulating washer is on the wrong side of the wire connected on that set of points. The wiring connection is supposed to be isolated.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Condenser installation tips

Thanks Earlfor. That is exactly what was happening. The right side condenser wire has a fork terminal, which was on the wrong side of the washer, and, because I installed it with the points of the fork out from the mounting plate, it was rotating so the U of the fork touched the mounting plate and was grounding there too.

So two things:

Watch that the fork terminal of the condenser wire is on the correct side of the little insulating washer so it is isolated

and

Install the condenser wire terminal with the points of the fork toward the engine so it won't rotate and ground itself by touching the mounting plate

Add some more wisdom here:

Comment

Word of wisdom...if your new to bikes and points and your gonna change them..or anything for that matter..take pics of it before you disassemble so you can refer to them later.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
            X