Starter solenoid wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter solenoid wiring

I just got a $200 1982 GS450L. When I put power to the + and - the lights come on but the starter has nothing from the button. In looking at the solenoid, the soldered wire goes to the start button and one of the threaded lugs has a wire to the starter. The other threaded lug has nothing hooked to it. Should that be ground or to positive? I suck at wiring.

That one goes to the positive side of the battery.

Comment

One of the threaded terminals should be connected to the battery with a large wire (probably black).

The other threaded terminal should be connected to the starter (again, with a black wire).

Even when you have them connected properly, you still might not get any response when pushing the START button.

Unless it has been bypassed, you will also have to pull the clutch lever in.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies. The clutch lever wiring was cut also, so I just connected them to each other.

Comment

Working...
        X