gs400 rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs400 rectifier

Hi, i have a 5 wire rectifier that I would like to hook up to this 79 gs400. Its off a different bike and the wire colours dont match whats on the bike. How do i tell which wires go where?
    any help would be much appreiciated.
    Thanks
    Woody

Originally posted by woodytwoshoes View Post
    Hi, i have a 5 wire rectifier that I would like to hook up to this 79 gs400. Its off a different bike and the wire colours dont match whats on the bike. How do i tell which wires go where?
    any help would be much appreiciated.
    Thanks
    Woody
    Welcome to the forum! Many of the members are geniuses and some know some magic, but I think we need some more detail.

What are the wire colours on the R/R you want to connect? Do you have a wiring diagram for your bike?

Comment

Hi Mr. woodytwoshoes,

What color are the wires you're working with? If it's a 5 wire unit you should have a black and a red wire. The rest may be something like white with a red stripe, white with a green stripe, and/or yellow. Those three are all the same and connect to the stator in any order (consider them all "yellow"). See below:

The above diagram is for a 6-wire unit so you can ignore the black "sense" wire. The Honda r/r unit pictured above uses green for ground.

You'll want to check out the Stator Papers. The link is in your "mega-welcome" below.

Now let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 10-14-2011, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Be warned that there are lots of too small R/R's out there that will strain your charging system or worse. Any numbers on this unit? Spend some quality time with Mr. Basscliff's info and you will discover amazing clues to solving typical suzuki problems.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

gs400 rectifier

The rec has a red, black, two white and a brown. Love this site! Hard to tear myself away and do some work on the bikes.
          Thank you,
          Woody

Comment

gs400 rectifier

I forgot to mention that, yes I do have a wiring diagram for the bike.

Comment

Hi,

Forgive me for being in such a hurry. Your bike may have come stock with separate rectifier and regulator units. Most of us are using an upgraded, integrated regulator/rectifier unit, as in the wiring diagram I posted earlier. If you are still using separate parts then we'll have to discuss the proper wiring.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

gs400 rectifier

Hello again, and yes I am using separate regualtor and rectifier for now anyway. I do have a spare R/R 6 wire that would work? It is a shindengen 4LO-AO. It has a red, black, brown and three white wires.
                Thanks so much,
                Woody

Comment

Originally posted by woodytwoshoes View Post
                  The rec has a red, black, two white and a brown. Love this site! Hard to tear myself away and do some work on the bikes.
                  Thank you,
                  Woody
                  Woody,
                  Have a look at this thread for some detail. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=134690
                  The unit you mention above does not seem like a workable one and may be off a smaller Kawasaki. It only has two white wires which usually indicates a two phase alternator and you have a 3 phase one.

Hello again, and yes I am using separate regualtor and rectifier for now anyway. I do have a spare R/R 6 wire that would work? It is a shindengen 4LO-AO. It has a red, black, brown and three white wires.
                  Thanks so much,
                  Woody
                  This one may work and may be off a Kawasaki as they use white for the AC wires. See BassCliffs diagram sent earlier and just make those three yellow wires white.

Here you go, use BassCliffs wiring diagram he posted earlier for you:
                  Your 3 white waires are the AC input and replaces the 3 yellow wires in any order.
                  Your black wire is ground and replaces the green wire.
                  Your red wire +12V and is the same as the red wire on the schematic
                  Your brown wire is the sense wire and must go to a switched +12V and replaces the black wire.

The number you quoted is not a Shindengen number which should start with SH xxx, Your replacement must be able to handle the current of your charging system and one off a smaller bike may not be suitable

Hope this helps

Comment

gs400 rectifier

Thanks a lot guys, nice to talk with experts! Huge help.
                    Thanks again,
                    Woody

Comment

Working...
                    X