Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reinstalled engine and now have starter issue

Hello,

So I pulled out my engine to replace the Air Intake Boot Orings and have now reinstalled the engine. Now when I attempt to start the bike it turns over once at full power and then dies off from there. Previous to removing the engine I could hold the starter button all day and it would turn over strong the entire time.. Now I get one maybe to turns of the engine and then you can hear the starter moving slower and slower till it will not turn.. Wait a few seconds and it will try again.. The battery is fully charged and even hooked up a car battery to test as well.. I know it must be one of the connections I removed to remove the engine but not sure where to start.. Any ideas?

Originally posted by mpencegs View Post
    Hello,

So I pulled out my engine to replace the Air Intake Boot Orings and have now reinstalled the engine. Now when I attempt to start the bike it turns over once at full power and then dies off from there. Previous to removing the engine I could hold the starter button all day and it would turn over strong the entire time.. Now I get one maybe to turns of the engine and then you can hear the starter moving slower and slower till it will not turn.. Wait a few seconds and it will try again.. The battery is fully charged and even hooked up a car battery to test as well.. I know it must be one of the connections I removed to remove the engine but not sure where to start.. Any ideas?
    Sounds to me like you don't have the big ground cable from the engine connected back to the battery negative properly... Make sure it's got good clean connections both ends and goes directly from engine to battery as that cable is specifically for the starter.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

You removed the engine just to replace the intake boot o rings? Do you remove the engine to change the spark plugs, lol?

I would definitely get our your multimeter and check what your voltage at the battery is before starting, then during starting. There are not many connections from the engine to the rest of the bike, so, if you are getting full-power at first, then it dies off, it suggests some type of issue with your starter possibly going bad (bushings inside?). If it was slow cranking from the get-go, that's one thing, but, you get full cranking power initially.

Have you pulled your starter and connected it straight to your battery to see if there is some type of lag in the starter? You have to isolate the problem! Your multimeter will be your best friend right now. As Ed Ness says, "To measure is to know."

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
        You removed the engine just to replace the intake boot o rings? Do you remove the engine to change the spark plugs, lol?
        LOL.. Yeah there was no way to fit my tool to break the screws loose without removing the engine or believe me it would have stayed.. I will start working my way back from the battery with the multimeter and see if I can get it sorted out then..

Comment

I am no expert like the mass in here ... failry new 550 owner...

BUT .. I have done a lot of work and tinkering, and found a few areas that might be interesting for you to check ..

I had the all airbox screws out, while messing with carbs ... bike wouldnt turn over ... power to lights, but no starter. Grounding issue Im sure. Airbox and related parts were in the bike still, just not bolted down.

There are a few ground wires in this area ... on mine, just behind the tank bolt, and the rear most battery box bolt.

I would make sure you got all wires ends cleaned up a bit, including the bolts holding them down. Make sure all wires are back where they came from, and everything else is put back togethor.

Hope this helps.

Jason

Comment

So finally found the answer.. Nothing to do with the grounds and everything to do with the starter brushes. I took the starter out and found the one of the brush springs did not have enough pressure to keep the brush in contact with the starter. Also found that the brush was not moving easily. Once I rewound the spring and cleaned up the brush so everything moved freely again the starter works great now..

Comment

Originally posted by mpencegs View Post
              So finally found the answer.. Nothing to do with the grounds and everything to do with the starter brushes. I took the starter out and found the one of the brush springs did not have enough pressure to keep the brush in contact with the starter. Also found that the brush was not moving easily. Once I rewound the spring and cleaned up the brush so everything moved freely again the starter works great now..
              Wow ok, that's the last thing I would've thought of... nice find
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
              X